Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How should I warm up my students....?    

How should I warm up my students....?

solomx
Azerbaijan Republic

How should I warm up my students....?

Dear Colleagues,

How should I warm up my students before I start them teaching cohesion in a paragraph?

I need your help.

10 Jan 2010      

anitarobi
Croatia

Word games, word games and word games - it always works and is very effective!  They �re great for revision, ice-breaking, warm-ups and even introductions into topics! So why not for cohesion in a paragraph? - provide them with examples of bad paragraphs or even essays and have them play the teacher - they love correcting other people�s mistakes! You can turn it into a team game - have them work in two teams to make a paragraph more cohesive, or to expand a paragraph, or to bring order into an essay which is not bad, but the ideas are in the wrong paragraphs! After the games, have them draw their own conclusions about what makes a good paragraph and essay and put "their" rules on the board. Then have them write(in pairs or individually) a short, but good essay about a fun topic and you�ll see how well the initial game worked.
 Anita

10 Jan 2010     

ironik
Australia

One of my colleagues used body metaphor to explain unity and cohesion- I think it was very helpful and enjoyable. She brought some photographs (full bodies) and she first showed the person �s head (introduction) and asked if they have any idea of what she is wearing. The students shared their opinions, then she showed the body, asked for the shoes... At last she explained that a paragraph (or essay) is like a human body, they are all related to each other (hair style, dress and shoes)( intro, body and conclusion) and all make up one meaningful piece.�

I liked the idea and the students like it too. I think you should give it a try :)

10 Jan 2010     

aftab57
United Kingdom

Here are some ideas.

10 Jan 2010     

solomx
Azerbaijan Republic

Many Thanks all of you...guys. sharing is caring.

10 Jan 2010