Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > teaching writing    

teaching writing

zeina monzer
Lebanon

teaching writing

Dear teachers,
I am a teacher of handicaped students and some of them are slow learners . they are very weak in English language and they refuse it. the most subject am facing difficulty teaching it is "writing".
I �ve tried hardly to make them accept it but unfortunately they didn �t Unhappy

So plz I need your advice on how to teach them writing and how to make them accept the language .

thanks in advance

11 Jan 2010      

anitarobi
Croatia

I don �t know how old they are, but I find that no matter the age, level or handicap sts face, playing with the language is absolutely the best way to teach. Using all  kinds of word games (which are available at ESL and you �re the best person to know which ones to choose and how to apply them) is highly effective, providing you choose carefully and prepare well. As for writing, your sts age would help (and the level and kind of handicap) as info on choosing a strategy, but generally speaking, all sts like colourful texts, large posters, word cards and writing in bright colours. They also love shape writing. Start with sth small which is fun - e. g. make a large poster with a simple text or song written in colourful markers and with simple blanks which they have to fill in. Provide possible answers on colourful word cards and have them fill in the blanks using markers. Jumbled texts also help (having a simple line or sentence written on colourful paper and then cut out word by word and jumbled) - have them assemble it properly and then copy it into their notebooks, but again - let them use colour. I find that all people like using colour and writing various-sized letters, even adults. It is difficult to separate reading and listening from writing, so your lessons should always be a mix of all these. If you put too much pressure on writing as it is, they might feel aversion to it. Incorporate it without stressing which is writing, which reading - just let it flow naturally. As I said, I cannot presume to know which handicap/disability you �re dealing with, but I remember us chatting here many times about similar problems, and most teachers eventually agreed that these kids also have interests, like songs, movies, jokes, etc. and we should approach them as such. It �s the level of difficulty and the length of texts you have to choose carefully, depending on the level of their problems.
Let �s also hear from some other people. I �m sure there are some who are much more experienced in this field than I am.

11 Jan 2010     

zeina monzer
Lebanon

thank you for your time in replying to my problem,
sorry i didn �t tell which grades i teach or what kind of handicap they have but this is because in the institution where i work they have a policy of integrating ss of different kinds of handicap together , so in the same class i may have blind, partially blind ,physically handicapped and sure slow learners :S .  this what makes my work more and more difficult. what i want is to make them able to write a simple paragraph
Again thank you for your advice

11 Jan 2010