Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > :)    

:)

Kohaku
Japan

:)

11 Jan 2010      

vardaki
Cyprus

Is anywhere a school that doesn �t provide their language teachers with a set curriculum or book?QuestionQuestionQuestion

11 Jan 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

actually it is not that strange. It gives you a lot of freedom!
Last year I taught most of the year without a book or set curriculum. I got a class of fairly advanced 12 year olds and just worked on whatever I saw they were missing in their English. It means you have a lot of work since you need the prepare all the worksheets and materials yourself but, hey, that is where this site proves its value!! Lots of great material here.
 It is a lot of work, much more than just following a book or other framework but the advantage it that the lessons are much better catered to the student �s needs and there is no pressure to progress in or finish a book. Towards the end of the year I did give my students a copied chapter of a coursebook to work with simply because I couldn �t handle the workload anymore, especially making sure they do cover the basic tenses and writing all the readings myself was just too time consuming and stressfull (I was a new teacher and I didn �t know this website yet). It made life a lot easier, following the book, but it also made the lessons less adapted for each specific student and it for sure was a lot more boring...! Before each exercise would have the names of the students and situations from their lives, the book talked about a trip to London and buckingham palace.....

11 Jan 2010     

libertybelle
United States

A book system is often made by people who have insight in building vocabulary, making exercises and activities that fit the age groups you are working with.

A good system starts at the bottom with simple words and expands with texts
and other relevant materials building up their language at a reasonable pace.
I use this site (ESLPrintables) for extra materials to re-enforce things that the class has already worked with.

Many European countries have a curriculum of what students should have learned after each grade which is made by the dept of education.
I choose the topics my 8-10th graders work with, which is fine as long as they learn the things that are required by the ministry of education.

If you had to make all the materials yourself, you ought to be paid for being an author as well as a teacher.

We learned about the different teaching systems in teacher �s college and we can borrow sets to see if we want to buy them or not.

Our new book system has written exercises, pair work (conversation) and group work, songs, stories for reading,poetry and more.

If you have the option of buying a good text and work book for your class, I would buy it.

Don �t you have enough to do with correcting and preparing classes?
I can understand if those students of yours were bored out of their minds with such  restricted  topics.  They should also be learning about daily things and all English speaking countries.
Television programs, small plays, sketches and films are also good to see how much they understand.
That �s my opinion - hope it helps
L

11 Jan 2010     

solomx
Azerbaijan Republic

I completly agree with liberty belle...

11 Jan 2010     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

We had to teach without books on our CELT course, it �s the hardest thing you �ll ever do, it took me about 8 hours to prepare a lesson, a friend of mine is teaching in a school that don �t allow her to use books also and it still takes her that long.

In my classes there �s usually 45 minutes spent on the book and 45 minutes playing games/activities/crosswords/songs etc. (not necessarily in that order, often a bit of the book a bit without it a bit with it a bit without it etc.) to practice the grammar or vocabulary.. you need the book as a springboard.. and a lot of modern books like English File include a lot of games and activities and opportunities to talk and communicate on every page.. which saves me a lot of time.. even though i still need to find something extra. it �s really a pleasure to teach with. It �s only flaw ONLY flaw is that it sometimes doesn �t explain the grammar properly.. but thats the old one.. the new one is much better in this respect.

i really don �t know what i �d do without my books!

11 Jan 2010     

Kohaku
Japan

12 Jan 2010