Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > ideas please!!!!!    

ideas please!!!!!

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

ideas please!!!!!

i start tomorrow after the holiday vacation, but since many students are always absent the first day i dont want to start the class, but i need something to give to those who come.  what would you suggest ?

11 Jan 2010      

sorji
Tunisia

I would ask them to list in the table below any practical experiences which they have had, related to learning English in their free time (e.g. corresponding with pen friends, by letter or email, using the Internet, using English on holiday,etc)

When and where

Comments

(who did you talk to? What about?)

11 Jan 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

I don �t know what level you teach but you could play a game where they have to say 2 truths and 1 lie about their holiday vacation. The others have to ask questions to figure out which is the lie.

11 Jan 2010     

dennismychina
China

Yip, games are good. You�re restating, right? So try to incorporate a bit of revision in the game. The fly swatter game is raucously fun. Write up a whole lot of words randomly onto the board. Divide the class up into teams. Larger classes more teams. One ss from each team lines up in front of board. Give each ss a fly swatter. (no swatter,l no problem give them a piece of chalk, each team a different colour, they�ll underline the word instead of swatting it.) You ask questions or give a statement related to the words � the ss must listen carefully and decide which word best answers the question. Swat it / or underline it. The first to do so gets a point/s for his/her team. eg the word �lion� = it�s known as the king of the jungle. The word �bought� = I did this yesterday to get some fruit. Or something like that. The kids love it because there is little teacher control and they can really let off stream while unwittingly learning something.
Enjoy.

12 Jan 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Great ideas from everyone above!
You could also play a memory or board game with the students who do come!

12 Jan 2010     

marta v
Serbia

Or the hangman game, but with sentences, not just words.

12 Jan 2010     

Lana.
Ireland

Revise, revise, revise!

Revise from the previous term.

12 Jan 2010