Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > French-English    

French-English

sorji
Tunisia

French-English

Dear teachers,
Could you translate this phrase into English: "Examen normalis� local "?

12 Jan 2010      

zoemorosini
United States

I �m guessing, but...

general education examination?

In the USA we have the GED, or General Equivalency Diploma, which is for students who can �t or don �t finish the traditional high school curriculum, but need to have the equivalent of one.

By the way, it�s better not to fill the forum with duplicate questions.  I noticed you�ve posted several related topics.  I�m sure you don�t want other people�s needs to be overlooked.

12 Jan 2010     

sorji
Tunisia

of course I don �t want to.But it really poses a very big problem, coz I meant native French speakers to give me the equivalent in English, but in vain.Hopefully they �ll notice it before it vanishes

12 Jan 2010     

darryl_cameron
Hong Kong

Yahoo Babelfish translated it this way:

Local standardized examination

but my French colleague said it is a �place � haha!!! Does that help?
http://au.babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_txt

12 Jan 2010     

dennismychina
China

Why don�t you search for members from France and then send them a PM?

12 Jan 2010     

Gia Mel
Chile

Placement test?

12 Jan 2010     

Missbrittany
France

I am sorry but I have never heard of �un examen normalis� local � so I can �t help finding an English equivalent. This is not something we use in France. It must be some kind of exam that all students in the same age-group must pass in the same area, but it �s only a guess.

12 Jan 2010     

Mariethe House
France

SOunds awkward to me too.... Give more information , ..... The context in which it is used!

12 Jan 2010     

Lancillotta:
Italy

Hi, it shoud be an exam that you have in the place you live: http://www.emarrakech.info/Pas-de-modification-pour-les-manuels-scolaires-aux-niveaux-primaire-et-secondaire-ministere_a9407.html
It �s hard to translate, but it might  be  "local standard  test(or certificate . Dos it give a certificate?!?) ".
 I hope this helps.
Sabrina

12 Jan 2010