Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Articles in "The Economist"    

Articles in "The Economist"

11Alex11
Germany

Articles in "The Economist"

Hey,

one of my students asked me to use texts from the Economist.

I �ve chosen one, "Playing with fire", which is about President Obama who decided to impose a tariff on tires from China (it �s an economic article from the U.S. section).

Now I �m trying to analyze the text a bit (genre, ...) and I �m struggling. Does anyone know which kind of texts the Economists writes? I think it is a report, but I �m not sure.

Furthermore, the author analyses quite a bit (possible effects of Obama �s action, reasons why this decision comes at a risky time, ...), but this analysis is based on facts (is it subjective then? - although I think it is still an objective analysis). Is it still a report then? (Because I thought that a report is more for objective statements about what is happening, e.g. like when there is a natural disaster or sth.)
And at the end, there is the sentence: ... so expect a few more fireworks.
-> How can I describe the structure of the text? Are there any features such articles from the Economist have (apart from the obvious like quotes from experts, economic terms, ...)?

I �d really appreciate your help. Thanks a lot in advance.

12 Jan 2010      

dennismychina
China

Your heading is probably your answer. An �article� is any writing, consisting of two or more particulars, or treating of various topics. Editorials, critiques, exposes, are all articles. As far as I know.

Secondly, is it in fact fact? It might be based on fact but I think it is subjective because it is in the end, the writers opinion really and not cast in stone.

And lastly, �so expect a few more fireworks� is an opinion, it might be an enlighten opinion or educated guess but never the less it is an opinion of the author.

I hope I�ve understood your request correctly and that this helps a bit.

Enjoy.

12 Jan 2010     

11Alex11
Germany

Hey,

thanks a lot. I �ve also sent you a private message. Would be great if you could answer it ;-).

Can the text be classified further? e.g. commentary, coverage, news report, ...

I �m not sure what kind of text it is because at the beginning, there is a statement of the situation and then there are transitions like "some of this is hyperbole" (subjective?), "that, however, is a stretch", "China also bears some blame", ... -> so it �s probably argumentative, isn �t it?

12 Jan 2010