Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > i need your opinion and help!!!!!!!    

i need your opinion and help!!!!!!!

FRANK_XAVIER
Mexico

i need your opinion and help!!!!!!!

hi everybody!!!! im a teacher at junior high school. in Mexico there�s a program in which some teachers are asesor. i mean we have to work with a group, i have to help them, i have to talk to their parents about their behaviour etc. THE PROBLEM IS THAT SOME OF MY STUDENTS DON�T WORK, THEY DON�T DO THEIR HOMEWORK THAT�S WHY THEY HAVE FAILED SOME SUBJECTS. I �M THINKING IN USING A CHART WHERE EVERYDAY  THEY WRITE THEIR HOMEWORK AND THEIR PARENTS SING IT IN ORDER TO HAVE A CONTROL ABOUT THAT AND TO FORCE THEM TO WORK BUT I NEED SOME IDEAS OR YOUR OPINION.

MY BEST WISHES!!!!!!

14 Jan 2010      

FRANK_XAVIER
Mexico

my mistake:::::::::  It was.... their parents sign it not SING it 

14 Jan 2010     

lizzysil
Peru

MY DEAR FRIEND FIRST OF ALL, THEY MUST KNOW THAT �HOMEWORK" IS NOT AN OBLIGATION, THEY HAVE TO DO IT BECAUSE THEY REALLY WANT TO, NOBODY FORCES THEM, THEY HAVE TO DO THINGS BY THEIR OWN CONVICTION AND NOT BECAUSE THE TEACHER WANTS TO. SOME TEACHERS ARE REALLY STRICT AND DON �T GIVE SS THE OPPORTUNITY TO TALK, YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHAT KIND OF HOMEWORK THEY REALLY LIKE, I MEAN YOU HAVE TO CHOOSE TOPICS OF REAL INTEREST FOR THEM, DON �T DO THE SAME AGAIN AND OVER AGAIN!!, CHANGE THE KIND OF HOMEWORK, GIVE EXTRA POINTS FOR THE SS WHO DOES IT EVERYDAY, SURPRISE THEM, MOTIVATION IS IMPORTANT, NO MATTER THE AGE THEY ARE
ANOTHER IDEA IS TO PASTE IN THEIR NOTEBOOKS STICKERS, DIPLOMAS, CERTIFICATES OF GOOD BEHAVIOUR, USE THE CHART PASTE IT IN THEIR NOTEBOOKS AND LET THEM TO EVALUATE, ASK THEM HOW GOOD WERE YOU THIS WEEK?? HOW MANY POINTS DID YOU HAVE?? MAKE THEM FEEL CONFIDENT AND LITTLE BY LITTLE THEY WILL LEARN
REMEMBER THAT TEACHING THAT KIND OF SS ( A LITTLE LAZY) IS A GOAL, A BIG GOAL
IT �S UP TO YOU, YOU CAN!!!! AND OF COURSE YOUR SS
TALK TO THEIR PARENT AND THE PRINCIPALS FROM THE SCHOOL...IT �S VERY IMPORTANT
I US E ACHART IN MY ROOM AND I CALLED IT " MY HOMEWORK FOR THE WEEK"
MONDAY   :  PAGE 34 HISTORY BOOK
TUESDAY   PAGE 56 ENGLISH BOOK ....
SO THEY REMEMBER AND BEFORE YOU FINISH THE CLASS YOU SAY LOOK AT THE CART
WHAT HOMEWORK IS FOR TOMORROW???
I HOPE IT HELPS A LITTLE...I �LL WRITE MORE IDEAS IF I REMEMBER
BYE BYE LOTS OF LUCK
LIZZY from PERU

15 Jan 2010     

Sara26
Brazil

Hi Paco,

I worked in a school which had this procedure: teachers of all subjects had to inform what would be the topic and the homework for the next week, so the parents were able to follow what their kids should be learning and their homework as well.
The kids who didn �t do their homework had their names informed to the coordinator of the school, who wrote a note to their parents. I guess it worked. Thumbs Up

Good luck!

15 Jan 2010     

salaskas1
Belgium

Hi Paco 

I totally understand!  I teach grades 1 through to grade 6 in an International elementary school and when I first started I can honestly say it was a nightmare!  

A friend told me about the "smiley" system whereby you give out smiley notes for good behavior, handing in homework on time, passing tests, getting good grades, whatever you wish.  It �s basically a reward system but works very effectively and gives all my SS something to work towards.  I keep a big smiley sheet for each ss in a file and when I give one out I write it on their big smiley sheet.  If they have received 10 smiley notes then the big smiley sheet is complete and they get to choose a sticker (they all love stickers!) and keep the big sheet.  Then I add another different coloured sheet to their file, for example a blue one to indicate the next level of smilies - so they will then receive blue smiley notes.  

There are different levels of smilies which are indicated by the different colours.  In total there are 10 colours and if they reach the final colour and the final smiley note then they get a laminated certificate presented to them in front of the whole school.  It will take a long time to achieve this as we are talking about in effect of 100 smilies.   My ss love having something to strive for and like being competitive with other ss and it helps me manage my classes!  If you would like me to send the documents I have made for this please just PM and I can send no problem.

Hope this idea has helped and it was not too rambling!

Happy teaching :)

15 Jan 2010