Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > school subjects    

school subjects

Timar Marika
Romania

school subjects

Here in Romania almost every teacher is responsible for a class (dealing with their marks, behavior, problems etc. ) and we have in the timetable an hour / week dedicated totally to our students when we discuss about their problems and about the things they are interested in.

I would like to know if there is such a school subject in English and if there is then how is it called ?

Thanks

18 Jan 2010      

kenab
Slovenia

I think it �s class period.

18 Jan 2010     

Pachy
Spain

I think it �s "Tutor time". We have the same in Spain, but only in Secondary. I find it an excellent opportunity to get to know my students better.
I �ve found this web about an English teacher who talks about his "tutor time". Here �s the link, in case you �re interested.

18 Jan 2010     

Timar Marika
Romania

thank you very much for your answeres

18 Jan 2010     

eng789
Israel

It �s called "a home room teacher"

18 Jan 2010     

volga
United States

We also call it �study hall �, �advisory � or �mentoring class �. In my school, we �ve never had it called �home room �, though I know that some neighboring schools call it that way. It �s different in different schools. In our case, our administration decides what they want to call it. They experiment almost every year, the content changes a bit, but the core of it stays the same. This class is every day and some years we had it the first thing in the morning, and others we had it while the other half of the school was having lunch/recess. Oh, by the way, we don �t have anything like this this year at all. We have five periods a day, all main subjects (70 minutes each) with a 30 minute break for lunch and 5-minute passing periods between the classes.

I work in a public (free) middle school (grades 6-8).

Cheers!

19 Jan 2010     

teacherflorida
United States

We have had similar classes they were called a few different names. LIFE SKILLS AND SOCIAL SKILLS ----- A GOOD BOOK TO GET YOUR STUDENTS WORKING TOGETHER IS CALLED TRIBES. IT DEALS WITH EXPERIENTIAL LEARNING.   LEARNING BY TRUST AND BUILDING RELATIONSHIPS. YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO FIND EXPERIENTIAL EXERCISES ONLINE.      SORRY FOR THE CAPS MY KEYBOARD IS STUCK              I HOPE THIS  HELPS KEVIN

19 Jan 2010