Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > APART FROM VS EXCEPT FOR....??????    

APART FROM VS EXCEPT FOR....??????

Greek Professor
Greece

APART FROM VS EXCEPT FOR....??????

GOOD EVENING EVERYONE....
 I HOPE YOU ARE ALL FINE....

Need some enlightening....

I KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN [EXCEPT FOR AND APART FROM]...BUT CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHY B. IS CORRECT....

�Did the camping trip go well? �
�.......................one minor accident, we had a great time. �
a] Apart from
b] Except for
c] Instead
d] Although

Or...is there a typo mistake... like from and for shouldn �t be there?

Thanks in advance

18 Jan 2010      

stella_bc5
Spain

I �ll try to explain to you because in Spanish it �s quite clear but I don �t know if you �ll understand me.
There isn �t any typo mistake.
�Except for � means �with the exception of �, that is, the trip went well but they only had one problem.

Compare these two sentences:
�Apart from being allergic to nuts I �m also allergic to eggs �
�Except for being allergic to nuts I have no other health problems.

I hope this helps you.

18 Jan 2010     

yanogator
United States

Stella,
I think "In addition to being allergic to nuts, I �m allergic to eggs" would be much better.

Prof,
"Except for" is definitely correct. At the moment, I can �t come up with a good example for "apart from", because I never use that expression.

Bruce

19 Jan 2010     

Greek Professor
Greece

Thanks... but what do I tell my students...How do I go about explaining why B is correct and not A...

I too would choose B...but....I need an explanation... HELP....I cant come up with one either...

Well I �m off to bed as its 1:10am... Anwers are all welcome...

I will see them in the morning...EH! in a few hours...

Thanks again..

19 Jan 2010     

anaisabel001
Spain

�Idiom
     except for, if it were not for: She would travel more except for lack of money.

19 Jan 2010     

mena22
Portugal

Hi! According to Michael Swan - Practical English Usage, 2nd Edition, OUP - Apart from can be used in 2 senses:

1. meaning "besides", i.e., that you are going to add something (plus +): "Apart from      the violin, he plays the piano and the flute."

2. meaning subtraction (minus -): "I like all musical instruments apart from/ except (for) the violin."
 (in this sentence "for" can be omitted because it �s after "all".)

So, according to him, we would say that both apart from and except for are correct in the sentence you gave us. Or am I wrong?

19 Jan 2010     

darryl_cameron
Hong Kong

Makes sense Mena Smile

Yes, so if you follow Mina �a statements, you get to the correct answer as B, because the  �accident � and �great camping trip � are exclusive.

IMHO: The speaker really wants to emphasise the separation of �accident � from �great time �, so except leaves no doubt, whereas apart from may not.

19 Jan 2010     

volga
United States

Mena, you cited a great source, but according to Swan, only �except for � is correct here, because you �re subtracting that accident from the great time, not adding to it. ;0)

I actually study word sequences (different types) and I know that �apart from � is rare in spoken discourse. It is mostly used in writing (magazines, fiction, and especially in academic writing).

Cheers!
Volga

19 Jan 2010     

Jayho
Australia

My NS gut feeling was that both are acceptable (in Australian English).

I checked Swan (3rd ed., 102) and he  says that �apart from� can be used in both senses.  There�s more here: http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/apart-from.

IMHO both are correct but option B is probably more appropriate for learners when applying the basic rules.  You can explain it using Swan�s material (subtracting from the experience).  As learners immerse themselves in the language they will see �apart from� used in both senses.

Ozzies use �apart from� frequently in spoken discourse, in both senses, so there might be a difference in actual usage between SAE and SBE (we generally follow SBE).

Cheers

Jayho

19 Jan 2010     

volga
United States

Cool, Jayho! Of course, I didn �t know that. :o) 

19 Jan 2010     

Samantha.esl
Italy

What an interesting post! I �ve learnt something else today!
Thank you teachers!

19 Jan 2010     

1    2    Next >