Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Marks...grades...    

Marks...grades...

liza_xxx93
Russian Federation

Marks...grades...

Yesterday with my pupils we talked about evaluating their work - and i got a question about other countries � marks. Shame on me I could only remember that in the USA they have letters (A, B etc) instead of numerals. I told about it and promised to find out information about other countries too.
In Russia most schools use:
"5" - excellent
"4" - good
"3" - satisfactory
"2" - bad
So, what about other countries?

20 Jan 2010      

GeorginaSZ
China

Hi,

I work in a language school, and we have devised our own grading system with the intention of keeping it positive. Saying a student is doing badly can knock self-esteem and result in the student giving up, feeling that hey have no potential, rather than working towards improvement.

We use:

5 - excellent
4 - above average
3 - good
2 - fair
1 - needs improvement

Although any low grade is disappointing, I think we can help students to see that we are not labelling them as "no good" but showing them where they are in their progress so they know what areas to work on.

Georgina

20 Jan 2010     

Yulia Mo
Russian Federation

In Bahrain they use A+ as the excellent down to F who fails.So variations are more than our Russian system as there are A+, A, A-, B+ and so on. But these we counted according to the percentage. For example, more than 95 % - A+, more than 90 - A, 85-90 - A-. As far as i remember.

20 Jan 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

In Holland they used a scale from 1 (terrible) to 10 (excellent) with plus, minus and halves.
Here in Israel they use a scale from 1 to 100 on the same idea. (I say "they use" since our school does not use grades)

20 Jan 2010     

67Englishteacher
France

In France, there �s a scale ranging from 0 (terrible) to 20 ("perfect"). 10/20 is the pass mark in most situations. For smaller or less important tests we sometimes also use a scale from 0 to 10.

20 Jan 2010     

niacouto
Portugal

Hi liza,

In Portugal we have 2 different scales. 1 is for Basic (compulsory) Education - 10 - 14 year-olds - and the other is for Secondary Education - 15 - 18 year-olds.
For Basic Education we have the scale :
1- Very unsatisfactory (almost never used)
2- Unsatisfactory
3- Fair
4- Good
5- Excellent
For Secondary Education we have a scale 0 -20
0-9 - Unsatisfactory
10-13 - Fair
14-17- Good
18- 20- Very Good
Hugs from Portugal

20 Jan 2010     

lshorton99
China

The UK works on a letter system - up to A* for excellent. Here in Spain we work from 1-10 - in schools a 5 is a pass mark and in our academy 6 is a pass.

20 Jan 2010