Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Teaching English in Spain    

Teaching English in Spain

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

Teaching English in Spain

Hi guys!

I know there are a lot of people who teach in Spain here, and I �m thinking of moving there next year.

Any advice/recommendations/tips/information about living and working in Spain, specifically in the North, along the north coast, because I don �t think I could handle the summer heat working in Madrid or Barcelona.

I �m looking at some towns and cities around the north of Spain, namely Burgos, Vigo and Santander so far, anyone know much about them and what it might be like to live there? What the teaching market is like?

Also if you know any good sites/resources/books for Spanish self-study that would be really cool.

I �m not sure if we �re supposed to post questions like this here, so feel free to PM me your replies if you prefer :)

20 Jan 2010      

scampi
Spain

Hello

I live in the Valencia area but have visited Santander and it is very nice.  There isn �t a lot of work in Spain unless you go to very big areas.  If you go to a village then there are no jobs and also they don �t give such importance to english.  Therefore, pick as large a place as you can. 

Next, get into the schools over here you will need to be a fully qualified teacher who also can speak Spanish and it is very difficult as they use a "bag" method for example whoever has the highest score in the exams gets the first pick of the schools and then further down you just have to wait for a school to become available and that could be anywhere.  My advice to you would be to go to private schools and academies as they are independent and can therefore pick the most suitable for the job.  It is good working over here as within reason they let you do what you want in the classroom for example I have worked in three academies and they have all let me choose the method I want to use and the games I want.

I also teach basic Spanish and the method I use is Sue�os which I find is the easiest and most modern http://www.anayaele.com/

Hope this helps

20 Jan 2010     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

Hi!
Thanks for the information!
I heard the opposite about small towns, that though there are less jobs there are also far less people looking for them, so it �s much easier to get a higher paying job, I know from experience that that �s certainly true in the Czech Republic, but maybe I was misinformed about Spain?
I would never want to work in a state school, I imagine that �s what you meant by exam scores?
The jobs advertised on the net were happy enough with even the online qualifications, and seemed to put more weight on experience than qualification, only a few of them mentioned Spanish as a pre-requisite.. but maybe that �s because the others took it as being obvious!

Speaking Spanish is doable, but what level do they expect? I can get to about a B1 by next October, but higher than that I couldn �t do without living there and having classes.

I reckon when the time comes I �ll apply everywhere within my climate zone through the Internet.. and if that doesn �t work I �ll go to Burgos or some other biggish city in the north and start knocking on doors.

20 Jan 2010     

Pachy
Spain

Hi!
I live in Vigo, an industrial city of nearly 400,000 inhabitants, with a lovely estuary and beautiful beaches. The weather isn �t too bad: it rains quite a lot in winter but it �s not too cold and in summer time, you can sleep well as it �s not that hot as in the south (go to the beach in the morning / afternoon but take a jumper with you for the evenings just in case!!).

If you are thinking about working as an English teacher, I think it �s a good time to come: English is becoming quite important right now as our government wants the schools to teach not only English but also some other subjects in English (such as art, or PE) and there aren �t many teachers qualified for that! So lots of Spanish teachers are trying to learn English as fast as they can!!

Hope this can help you to decide.

20 Jan 2010