Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Wrapping up the subject...    

Wrapping up the subject...

lshorton99
China

Ok, so I �m relatively new on this site. I think I joined a couple of years ago, but I only started using it and uploading etc a couple of months ago.

Since I �ve joined, I �ve seen a lot of this discussion about cheating, stealing etc. A lot of it seems to be devoted to layouts and images. I �ve stayed out of it because I honestly don �t consider it to be my area of expertise but I thought I might add a small point.

I �m not fussed about layout or pictures. We only have a black and white photocopier at work so, despite a lot of beautiful worksheets uploaded on this site, my main concern is the content - grammar or vocabulary. If someone copies someone else �s layout or pictures, I probably wouldn �t worry about it - I certainly wouldn �t worry if they copied mine (which are all standard word for the most part so not important). If someone copied my actual exercises on grammar or vocabulary, then yes, I might be a little miffed. I wouldn �t lose sleep over it. I would  assume they had used them to help their students learn English. Which is what we are all here for.

I think the point I �m trying to make is that even those who deliberately copy do it to gain access to more fantastic worksheets which will help their students do better in English. I don �t imagine most of them make money from it. I �ve taken to automatically scrolling past accusations of cheating on this forum because I find it tiresome. Debates about language or suggestions about websites are more interesting and relevant to us as teachers.

I just think we should all remember why we are teachers and that the most important thing is that this sites helps us be better at our jobs by providing us with the resources to teach our students more effectively. I was absolutely thrilled the day I got my first points and spent a few hours going through worksheets deciding what would be most helpful. It was fun!

21 Jan 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

Philip, I must say I really appreciated your move to provide  lay outs to be used as templates. Especially at a time when so many people seem to be taking it way too seriously.
I thought it was funny to see that the �spiral-notebook-look � is so common and popular among the recent contributions lately. As if that is what will make a sheet �good � It is a bit sad that so many people are so obsessed with layouts. As soon as you have your 30 points, why worry so much about downloads? We create the sheets with our students in mind, not potential downloaders or am I living in a bubble? Of course it is important that a sheet looks nice but people, proportions~! I understand that a new user wants to get to his 30 downloads asap but there is nothing wrong with having to send a few sheets before you get there. Most of my sheets don �t have 30 downloads but still I got to a point where I have more points than I would ever need.
I am not using the fancy layouts for various reasons. One they take too much space, space I prefer to use for the actual exercises (and leave a realistic space for students to write) or illustrative pictures, second, I can not print in color in our school so it just becomes too much of a grey and gloomy smudge...
First thing I usually do when downloading a sheet with a colored background is clicking �no background, no page border � and clean up the sheet that way....

21 Jan 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Hi!

Some time ago I suggested that we asked Victor to create a layout section, and members should contribute with their layouts for boardgames, dices, etc. I remember I suggested it when Philip uploaded an empty layout to share.

Or people who have layouts can open a thread on the forum and send their layouts by email. I have tons of, because every time I make a ws, I feel bored of the previous layout, or think it doesn �t fit the subject so I  produce a new one.

If people agree, we can tell other members we have layouts to send them.

And I want to let the members know, if they need a layout, just send me a PM specifying the layout they want and their email address, and I �ll send them.

Have a nice day!

21 Jan 2010     

victor
Spain

@Bruna: sorry, I didn �t answer your message because I was on holidays and could not connect to the internet.

Thanks for bringing up the topic again. I �ll try to clarify things to avoid further discussions:

Using other members � worksheets as templates is not allowed without permission.
This has nothing to do with copyright. It is an internal rule of this website, intended to provide a friendly atmosphere. After all, asking for permission is the least we can do. It is not a huge effort.

Does this mean that I can �t use a spiral-notebook layout without permission?
No. If you start from a blank page, there is no problem.
You must have permission if you download other user �s worksheet, remove the text, and use it as template to make a new worksheet.

I repeat that this has nothing to do with copyright, it is a rule of this website.

Anyway, let me say that the worksheets that contain, for example, pictures of disney characters are not inflicting copyright. It is considered educational fair use.
For example, if you copy disney characters to make a comic and sell it, it would be a copyright violation, because you are making a product similar to the original, and you are damaging the commercial interests of the original author. But if you make an ESL worksheet with disney characters, the purpose is completely different to the original, and there is no commercial damage. This is considered fair use, and it is not a copyright violation.
On the contrary, if you take the pictures of a "sports vocabulary worksheet" from other book or website, and use them to make a new "sports vocabulary worksheet", it wouldn �t be  fair use, because the purpose is the same, and it could damage the commercial interests of the original author.

Another example: imagine this is the page of an ESL book:
If I scan the picture and use it to make a worksheet on "giving directions" it wouldn �t be fair use, because the purpose is the same as the original.
But if I had taken this picture from a tourist map of a city and I made a worksheet using it, it would be considered educational fair use.

Have a nice day,

Victor

21 Jan 2010     

David Lisgo
Japan

Thank you Victor for clarifying this point about fair use and what is and is not allowed on this website.  I hope that members who are using scanned images from ESL books will either delete their worksheets or update them.

21 Jan 2010     

< Previous   1    2