Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Let īs find out more about each other...    

Let īs find out more about each other...

Lana.
Ireland

Let īs find out more about each other...

Guys, guys,

I just thought of something - we are all agitated, upset and suspicious (well, not all, but many).

Now, a lot of us are saying that we should let other people speak and not "attack" them. But if we are supposed to be allowed to express our opinion, are we not also supposed to be allowed to express our disagreement with the aforementioned opinion? (Oh my God, I īm starting to speak like AFS Yayincilik..LOL..) 

As it has been said many times it īs a free forum, and everyone can speak up their mind which we are doing with enthusiasm.

Now, I think it is not the opinions themselves that are the problem (as there will always, always be totally opposite opinions), but  the way we express them. Our manners. We all come from different backgrounds which broadens our minds every single day (it definitely broadens mine). However, sometimes what īs considered OK in one culture istotally not OK in another culture (I īm not saying it īs worse or better, I īm saying it īs considered by the majority of people).

So - I suggest we all learn more about each other īs cultures from this wonderful website! Clap

Let me know if you found it useful - I did! Also, let me know if you found it accurate.

21 Jan 2010      

malice6
Poland

I find it very useful, but it īs better to take the information with a pinch of salt. I think the data about Poland is quite accurate, but I was very surprised with some points e.g.: in the Gift Giving Etiquette.

21 Jan 2010     

s.lefevre
Brazil

I think the site is very useful. We could even use it with our adult or teen students.

21 Jan 2010     

Bare
Croatia

Thank you Lana !!Thumbs Up

21 Jan 2010     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

I don īt think it īs a cultural thing, I think there is something about the Internet that makes monsters out of everyone. I īve seen people on youtube say things that are not socially acceptable in any culture.
I think part of it īs the anonymity, partly that you īre talking to a set of words on a screen and not a real person. It īs something that īs very hard to control even in yourself.

21 Jan 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

It īs a nice site, but indeed to be taken with a pinch of salt. The description of dinner ettiquete in Holland is very formal and does most certainly not apply to a īdinner with friends or family � setting. (and I personally love it when someone brings wine to dinner...) It amused me there is no entry for Israel...To many different cultures at work here to make sense of it I suppose...

21 Jan 2010     

donapeter
Romania

"if you bring wine, it should be imported"- i have read it on different countries � profile: Ii is so ......hilarious!!!

21 Jan 2010     

mariamit
Greece

Thank you,  Lana. I agree with Malice and MArion. It is a nice site but definitely to be talen with a pinch of salt. I have been living in Greece for 25 years now and I find some of the cultural information extremely outdated. I guess with all the rapid changes occuring everywhere it īs harrd to keep up.

21 Jan 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Gr8 site Lana - thanx. IMHO Australia was pretty accurate.

21 Jan 2010     

cheezels
New Zealand

A lot of the NZ is pretty accurate BUT the Maori people DO NOT just spontaneously break into song wherever they are! I thought that was pretty funny.
But everything about us being very casual and informal is correct.

21 Jan 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Lana
Very funny site - I read the info about Portugal, not the others, not much time, in fact, quite in a rush.
The wine, definitely seems to be something out of the command; it seems everyone would appreciate any good wine, the same here, it īs quite common to bring some good wine to the host; it can be Portuguese wine, as we do have splendid ones, but we also appreciate some Chianti, Bordeaux,Beaujolais, Spanish wine, Spain has a very similar Alvarinho, in fact the grapes are from the North of the country, near the frontier, so, though it is not exactly the same wine, we appreciate both of them equally; we love Rioja, well, I think Portuguese people appreciate good wine; nowadays Australian wines are arriving here and they are said to be very good. So, now you all know, next time I invite you for dinner you may bring a bunch of flowers, even red roses, no problem at all, a huge box of chocolates, Dutch are my favourite and obviously, we īll be delighted with a bottle of good wine.

But this one I found hilarious:

They have a more relaxed attitude towards time and do not see deadlines as crucial as people from many other cultures do.

We certainly are really, very relaxed - that one is very good, indeed.
Ok, that īs all folks, see u around, smile, tomorrow is FRIDAY.
linda

21 Jan 2010     

1    2    Next >