Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > what ´s hot and what ´s not?    

what ´s hot and what ´s not?

sassouki
Tunisia

what ´s hot and what ´s not?

well! we all make worksheets. but I notice that some formats and some topics are more in demand than others and get more downloads. we all want to share our work and get pts for it. and we get more and more greedy as our score goes up. sometimes, we may even feel disappointed if we don �t get more than 100 downloads a worksheet. what do the teachers want? tell us so that we can make custom-made worksheets that will be downloaded.

21 Jan 2010      

zailda
Brazil

Hi!

Most of the members claim they don �t care about points, which I �m afraid is not the truth, at least not completely. Of course we prepare ws for our students � use and share them here.

But in fact I think several members feel proud of the points they get, and I agree with them. If you submit your work here, other teachers will evaluate it, and the downloads are the result.

Of course no one will download a ws simply because he likes it, if it is not useful for his classes, but it �s also true that if we need a ws on present perferct e.g., we �ll choose the one that best fits our needs.

The wss that tend to have more downloads are the grammar oriented and some games (with beautiful pictures). The more space you use to provide a great variety of activities, the more downloads you may have.

Using this kind of parameter does not ensure a great number of downloads though. If you come with a new idea on activities it �ll also be welcomed with a great number of downloads - not 100% guaranted either.

You have two choices: you do what they expect and get great downloads number, or you do what you want and expect people to appreciate your work.

But I have already learned that what satisfies most people here will also please students, so it �s a good idea do what you want in some cases, but try to please the majority in others, because they represent part of your students � taste.

21 Jan 2010     

cheezels
New Zealand

I think that if you want to make worksheets just for the sake of making worksheets then that is certainly admirable. However, wouldn �t it be better to make things that you will be able to use yourself with your students?
I don �t tend to download much any more, BUT I never know what class I am having from month to month and so I tend to look for specific things as and when I need it.
Last month it was online BEC course and teaching adults and from next week I will be back to teaching kids for 6 weeks (yippppppppeeeeeeeeeee I have missed it SOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!)

I think 100 downloads is a huge amount. But then I think every download is cool whether it is high or low. For me it is great that someone else wants to use my work and that makes me feel happy that I have helped someone out.

Hug

21 Jan 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

I don �t upload for the points. I upload to share. I �d rather have 10 downloads that are going to be used by teachers than a 100 that will just take space on a hard drive.

I work for me first. I share because I believe in sharing. When a file is too big, I offer it for free

21 Jan 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

I don �t upload for the points; I �ve got more than I can ever use (could we sell them on Ebay?). I don �t download much either. I make worksheets that I think are useful to me, my colleagues and especially the students we teach.

As in my experience students often have poor active skills, most of my worksheets focus on speaking, asking questions, conversation and discussion. Games, vocabulary, creative writing and (critical) thinking come next. I�m not particularly a fan of reading and grammar worksheets as the local teachers already administer an overdose of those.

21 Jan 2010     

sassouki
Tunisia

Thanks for your answers. I personally upload the worksheets that I use with my students in class but I love to see many teachers download s.thg I made and as zailda said, it makes me feel proud of my work.

21 Jan 2010