Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > can we say ...    

can we say ...

zeina monzer
Lebanon

can we say ...

dear colleagues,
my friend asked me if  it is  correct to say " i �m wishing my life away"
i told her that i don �t think that it �s correct, but i want the right answer plz.
thanks in advance

21 Jan 2010      

MarionG
Netherlands

It doesn �t need to be all that dramatic (as suicide)..
To say "I �m wishing my life away " can also mean that I spend my life wishing for things to happen rather than facing reality and working with what is...
(Like wishing everyday I would have a more sculpted body rather than either accepting I �m not twenty anymore or actually doing those sit-ups in the morning....life goes on without me actually getting closer to a super model look if I just spend my time wishing only .... ;)

21 Jan 2010     

zeina monzer
Lebanon

lol :)
really i don �t know she sent me the question as an sms
but in any case is it right to use this form ?
thx

21 Jan 2010     

zeina monzer
Lebanon

thx marian and ladybird,
so marian you are saying that it �s correct

21 Jan 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

Yes, I think it can be used as an expression..I am wishing my life away, I am wasting my life away, I am dreaming my life away... or most common YOU are throwing/wasting your life away (very popular amongst parents and teachers of teenagers) all meaning you are not really living your life, not making the most of it because you are busy with nonsense or dreaming..

21 Jan 2010     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

My mom always tells me not to wish my life away because I �m always wishing it was Friday, and then other times you �re wishing it was the summer, your your wishing you were on holidays, and in the meantime you �re loosing loads of days and wishing they were gone. I think that �s what it means. 

21 Jan 2010