Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > a stunning game/activity to impress    

a stunning game/activity to impress

aura+
Portugal

a stunning game/activity to impress

Hello everyone!
I was wondering if you could help me. I Need a great game/activity to really motivate one of my classes. They are in year 10 and they don �t like English. I �ve tried almost everything. They keep telling me English is very difficult, that they will never get good marks... I am very downhearted. 

We �ve started the topic "the Mass Media" . Can you think of something that has really done wonders?

thanks

aura

21 Jan 2010      

cagreis
Portugal

I can tell you what I �ve done some years ago on the topic "Youth culture". I asked my students to select some songs on the topic and present them in class. They had to prepare a listening sheet for the rest with tasks of their liking (gap-filling, ordering lines, etc.). Why not ask them to google songs about the influence of the media (there are some great songs about TV, for example). But I know what you are going through - the same is happening to me. Students are really hard to motivate and to get them start working. Just be patient - our effort will pay off eventually. Bye.

21 Jan 2010     

jecika
Serbia

Hello aura,
I have just tried to send you a private message but I keep getting a message that there is no user with that username ... I think the problem is the + sign next to aura

Putting links to printables on the forum is considered as advertising but since I am not able to send you a private message I am afraid I have to beak the rule of the site

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=41752#thetop

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=298980#thetop

(this contributor has uploaded lots of Fun Sheets � check her contributions out)

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=54892#thetop
(there are 8 sets of flashcards which were uploaded separately ... just browse through this members contributions and you will find them all)

Best of luck

21 Jan 2010     

aura+
Portugal

22 Jan 2010     

a isabel
Portugal

Dear Aura,

I have been dealing with the same topic and there are 3 great mini videos about it on Youtube.
Lady Gaga, Cookie Jar, to which pupils ordered a sequenceof pictures (I downloaded last year
but the key is wrong), pm me if you decide to use I �llbe glad to send you the correct key.
and TV the drug of the nation- a song with a mini video.
There are 2 films about the topic which we have used in our school"Paparazzi" and/or "Crusader".
good luck!
aIsabel

22 Jan 2010     

aftab57
United Kingdom

You might find something here.

22 Jan 2010     

boydegg
Thailand

Hi Aura

How about getting them to make comics? It �s a project that always catches my students � interest.  It allows them freedom to be creative with English, and it �s also possible for them to work at their own level.

Here �s my webquest with step-by-step instructions:

And here are some examples of comics by other students:

Hope it �s helpful.

Brian (Grammarman comic)

22 Jan 2010