Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > GRAMMAR QUESTION : ANOTHER, OTHER    

GRAMMAR QUESTION : ANOTHER, OTHER

Missfrancisca
Spain

GRAMMAR QUESTION : ANOTHER, OTHER

I was correcting some of my students � essays and noticed they make a lot of mistakes using another , other , others. I try to prepare a lesson to explain it but to my susprise I also got confused. I have learnt that another combines with singular as a pronoun and adjective and other with plural as an adjective and as a pronoun we use others. But  I have seen several examples where "other" is used with singular as well. Can you help me to solve amy doubt?

22 Jan 2010      

HollyHirst
United Kingdom

The only examples I can think of (at the moment, it could be that I need to think it through a bit more) that use other with singular are ones that include a definite article e.g. the other men.  This makes sense because another is basically a combination of the indefinite article and other, so if we need a definite article we take away the �an � and use �the �.  I don �t know if that helps.  If it doesn �t give me another example and I �ll get back to you!

22 Jan 2010     

Zora
Canada

Well, I always explain it as "another" meaning one more or a different one... example: This is another problem on the page. I need another pen, mine doesn �t work.

"Other" - one (s) that is different. example: - His other house is in Paris. The other pen is red.
"Take the other apples over there instead. They are fresher."

Others - referring to a group of people/things that are similar to something else. - example:

There are others in our same situation. 

22 Jan 2010     

baiba
Latvia

Zora, isn �t it right to think that the other means the second person/thing of a pair? 

22 Jan 2010     

Zora
Canada

Yes, baiba - as long as "the other" goes with a singular noun.

i.e. The other women at the congress were doctors and lawyers. - here it �s not referring to a second one/pair but to another group(s) that is different.

Smile

22 Jan 2010     

yanogator
United States

In essence, Baiba is still right, though. If we expand that explanation to a division between "these" and "those", it �s the second of a "pair" (so to speak) of groups.

All of the explanations above are excellent, and seem to be complete.

Bruce

23 Jan 2010