Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > groundhog day    

groundhog day

Missfrancisca
Spain

groundhog day

Dear colleages, las year I prepared some activities for groundhog day that is celebrated on the 2nd of February, I talked about that holiday to my language assistant who is an American girl from New Jersey and  to my surprise, she did  not even know what I was talking about. She said to me that it is not a very important holiday in USA. What do you think? Do you agree? Should I teach my students or just ignore it? thanks in  advance

22 Jan 2010      

donapeter
Romania

We have something like this here, but this kind of celebration is remebered by the older ones. We have the bear instead of the groundhog, but the thing with seeing its shadow is the same. Well.....for me is more like a superstition or something related, maybe this is why they do not consider it a big celebration.

22 Jan 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

that �s up to you, but that is more a tradition than a holiday, but this is not longer important or celebrated like before.

22 Jan 2010     

Zora
Canada

I don �t think anything that is a "cultural curiosity" should not be taught because it �s not widely known or celebrated. Knowledge is knowledge and knowledge is power. Smile So if you think that this will make that day �s class more interesting then why the heck not?!

And by the way, Groundhog Day is still a tradition in Canada - and probably in any of the colder states in the US like Alaska, Montana, NY or Washington... anything that forecasts an early Spring there is readily welcomed! LOL

22 Jan 2010     

Carla Horne
United States

Hi,

Groundhog day is not a holiday because we still must go to school and to work. However, it is more of a tradition or a custom. If the groundhog sees his shadow on February 2, there will be six more weeks of winter. We don �t really believe it, but some of the older generation will say it �s true. It �s just mainly for fun.

Carla

22 Jan 2010     

libertybelle
United States

No Groundhog day in California - we always have good weather!
(just kidding)
But it �s more of a curiosity than anything else.
By the way - See Groundhog Day with Bill Murray and Andie McDowell.
IT �s a riot!!!
L

22 Jan 2010     

Denisa
Romania

It �s a riot indeed, Libertybelle! When I saw the movie ..it was the first time I came across this Groundhog day...

22 Jan 2010     

Missfrancisca
Spain

I think the movie is great, I laughed a lot it is one of my favourite comedies

22 Jan 2010     

yanogator
United States

I think that it �s a big enough part of our culture for you to teach your students about it. All of the local and national television news programs feature Punxsutawney Phil (the official groundhog of groundhog day) that day. What I find funny is that a big deal is made of the "fact" that we have six more weeks of winter if he sees his shadow, but no mention is made of the consequences if he doesn �t see his shadow. To add to that, the calendar tells us that winter ends six weeks from then, so we have six more weeks of (astronomical) winter whether or not he sees his shadow. In all, it �s just a fun tradition we have.

Bruce

23 Jan 2010