Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A Question    

A Question

petili
Bulgaria

A Question

Hi, could you please tell me which form is correct in this situation?
" I want to go to the train station"
" You have to / should take bus N 5"
Thanks in advance
Petya

22 Jan 2010      

Samantha.esl
Italy

I would say: you have to take bus N� 5" because "should" is used to suggest something to a person. (Unless there are more options than bus n� 5 and you suggest taking n� 5, don �t know the context of the sentence).

While have to is an external obligation impossed by a norm, rule or law. In this case, the bus company, bus N� 5 goes to your neighbourhood.

22 Jan 2010     

peace1
Pakistan

i think

have to is more suitable

22 Jan 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

sam is right, if there are other options of buses that go to the same place then should, but if there is only one then have to or be lostWink

22 Jan 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

Hi,
I agree with lizsantiago and samantha
but i would also say that it depends on the context. If you ask someone you know, they will probably say "have to", if you ask someone in the street, they would say "should" because it is more polite to suggest an option than to give an order!
another option would be "you can take...", it is not an order but it is more direct than "should"

22 Jan 2010     

yanogator
United States

I would say "You need to take bus No. 5", to sound less harsh. I agree with the others that if there is no other possibility, "should" is not appropriate.

Bruce

23 Jan 2010