Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > sth basic    

sth basic

WestHampstead
Spain

sth basic

If you want to answer a question, what do you say?
"me" or "I"? my students made me hesitate.
thanks

23 Jan 2010      

Mariethe House
France

Definetely: I  .... me is object pronoun.

French children do the same because they translate from: "moi, je" which is a form of insisting on the subject pronoun. Isn �t there something like that in Spanish which makes them want to start with the �me �?

23 Jan 2010     

WestHampstead
Spain

thank you, as I thought, sometimes you hear them and finally make you doubt

23 Jan 2010     

yanogator
United States

You are right about this, but the common practice in the US is to use "me" if the answer is just one word.

For example:
"Who can answer this question?"   "Me"   (or "I can")

Although "I" is correct, since it is the subject pronoun, it is not used for a one-word answer.

Bruce

23 Jan 2010     

WestHampstead
Spain

thanks, very useful

23 Jan 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

I definitely agree with Bruce, I �ve always answered "me" to teachers while I was learning English and they never corrected me.

And Mariethe, we do start with "me" (pronounced /me/ ) in Spanish but it is not a subject pronoun, it can be like the reflexive pronouns of English, sort of, difficult to compare ... or sometimes the object pronoun too.

Regards W.H.Embarrassed

23 Jan 2010