Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > writing    

writing

donia
Oman

writing

One of my student brought me a piece of writing written by her own.
She started her writing by " Frankly speaking...." and I told her it �s not always a good way to start formal writing with this phrase.  She argued with me.... I don �t know I feel that phrase is not formal.... What do you think....?

23 Jan 2010      

anitarobi
Croatia

Well, you were definitely right - frankly is not really a formal expression, especially not to start a piece of writing(it �s too abrupt for a written text - it �s probably a direct comment to the title, which is a normal reply in spoken, but not written language). Depending on what type of text it was (a letter, a review, a report, an essay, an article...) and what the topic was, I would allow it perhaps in the second half of the text, as reinforcement or expansion of a statement. I wouldn �t use frankly speaking, because frankly is quite enough (though, I would prefer to be honest or in all honesty).

23 Jan 2010     

lshorton99
China

I agree with anitarobi. Frankly is something I would not suggest my students use in formal writing. I did a quick corpus search and every use was spoken or informal in some way.

23 Jan 2010     

priorita
Ukraine

It might depend on the topic but personally I would not judge so dogmatically.
As for me this might be more the subject of attitude of an author.
If you google in Internet you may find out that this phrase is absolutely normal for many even official reports or aritcles.

23 Jan 2010     

donia
Oman

Thank you dears You have been helpful to me

23 Jan 2010     

mourad1O
Morocco

It can �t be used in writing, but It can be employed in oral communication instead. Writing is formal.

27 Jan 2010