Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A lovely song but....:(    

A lovely song but....:(

sorji
Tunisia

A lovely song but....:(

Dear colleagues,
Would you help me get the meaning of the highlighted phrases? I �ve given up.I have tried so many times to teach that lovely song by Celine Dion, but the highlighted lines said don �t !
Can you explain them to me one at a time? I �ll be thankful.

Fulfill your destiny,
Is there within the child,
My storm will never end,
My fate is on the wind,
The king of hearts, the joker �s wild,
We don �t say goodbye,
We don �t say goodbye,
I �ll make them all remember me

23 Jan 2010      

Zora
Canada

It �s the same as the "There is a child within" - referring to your inner child.

The King of Hearts - is a card, "The joker" is wild - is also referring to a playing card. But this card is often a "wild card" in card games, meaning it can be different things or have a special function in some games.

In other words, the lines refers to the cards that people are dealt in the game of life.

Also... like the question before this one, the position on the "child" at the end of the line, is done on purpose so it will rhyme with "wild".

23 Jan 2010     

Aimee/S.
Israel

I guess you know French... Here is the translation in French, probably easier to understand (for me as well!!!) 

Remplis ton destin
C �est l�, m�me quand on est enfant
Ma temp�te ne cessera jamais
Mon destin est dans le vent
Le roi des coeurs, le joker est fou
Mais on ne se dit pas au revoir
On ne se dit pas au revoir
Je ferai en sorte qu �ils se souviennent tous de moi

All the lyrics in French here:
Hope it helps!
Bonne chance!

23 Jan 2010     

Nebal
Lebanon

Hello dear Sorji,

Well, I �ve always adored Celine Dion and her dreamy breathtaking songs, but never stopped at this part of her song " We Don �t Say Goodbye." I was more taken by the music and the whole sense of the song. Thanks for the highlighting.

Zoritaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, your explanation was awesome and straight to the point!!! Thanks!!!

Sorji, Zorita spoke it out. I would add no more.

Hugs,
Nebal

23 Jan 2010     

sorji
Tunisia

Thank you so much! Now I can do it with my students without being afraid of their questionsClap
I love you aaaaaaaaaaaaall

23 Jan 2010     

Samantha.esl
Italy

Fulfill your destiny,
Is there within the child,

I interpreted this part as �destiny � being in our lives since childhood. Like telling you, fullfil your destiny which is within the child you were and have inside.

23 Jan 2010     

mariaah
Spain

Sorry for the interruption. But I would like to know the title of that son. Can  anyone answer my question. Thank you very much. Ana

23 Jan 2010     

Samantha.esl
Italy

I don �t know the title, but you can easily type those lyrics posted here in google + Celion Dion and you will find it straight away.

23 Jan 2010     

mariamit
Greece

It �s called "Immortality" mariaah and it is a lovely song like most of Celine �s songs.
@ Zora - way to go - excellent interpretation.

23 Jan 2010     

JulietaVL
Mexico

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqjEL_bpmFg

It is a lovely song

23 Jan 2010