Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Two questions    

Two questions

Sara5
Kuwait

Two questions

To all teachers,
                          Could you please tell me:
How to make the ws uneditable?
How do you make notebook shape in the ws?
                                                                  Thank you
                                                              Good night

24 Jan 2010      

cagreis
Portugal

Why on earth would you want to do that??? I think editable ws are better since you can make changes to suit your students � level better.

24 Jan 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

if the purpose is to upload them here, let me tell you they get less downloads but any way, if thats whta you want i do that by grouping all the ws then copy/past it on paint then copy paste it again in a word doc.  as far of the notebook shape they most of them are made with the shape tools in word some are downloaded from the net. adding my personal opinion.. everybody is doing the notebook template and lol my students are getting tired of the same template again and again and again...

24 Jan 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Hy, guys... although you have given great observations about layout (I agree 100%), that �s not exactly good for newcomers or people still looking for points to get use of the site. I myself have deleted a worksheet, updated it with a clipboard layout, uploaded again and from 15 points with the B&W one, I got 264 so far. With te absolute same ESL resource.

So... dear Sara, if you want your wss to be noticed at first sight, add a colorful layout, it is really important in here. But of course, don �t forget to always try to make new different stuff, I wish I could see more contributions with new ideas and dynamics for our students to actually develop their skills. However, that doesn �t necessarily mean that you �ll get many points, because I can see that some of the users with most points get them with the absolute same esl thing: Reading + Questions, ... sometimes just a pictionary does the job (I have uploaded one just to avail a notebook layout for people with troubles to make theirs, if you want, feel free to use any of my layouts).

I hope I have helped you. And regarding to the uneditable wss, I would kindly ask you not to do that, I somehow get a feeling that people who upload uneditable things do not want their job to be �touched � and very often, we have to adapt this or that for the level of our own students. That �s not very useful and not a real sharing spirit, always IMHO. heheheheh

Big hugs, Bruna.

24 Jan 2010     

David Lisgo
Japan

"How to make the ws uneditable?"

There are no rules or guidelines concerning whether or not to make a worksheet editable.  I certainly wouldn �t say it �s "not a real sharing spirit" just because an author chooses to create such a worksheet.

My own worksheet are usually saved as GIFs and then dragged into a Doc. file.  I usually produce very visual worksheets, which cannot be done on MSWord without sacrificing picture quality and definition.  GIFs can be edited in programmes such as MSPaint, but not easily so.

Occasionally someone will ask me to change some of the vocabulary from Am. English to Br. English and I �m always happy to do this for them.

To answer the question.  You can use desktop publishing software a list is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_desktop_publishing_software#.

You can also �lock � or attach a password to your Document file if for some reason you need to make it uneditable.

David

25 Jan 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Hi, David. I think that it �s not totally true that there are no rules or guidelines, there isn �t a rule, but the fact that only .doc files are allowed makes a statement about the site �s original intention, sharing editable work, at least that was what I could understand. However, it �s true that it �s not a rule. I didn �t mean to offend those who upload uneditable wss, especially those who do it for size issues. But still, I can "sense the tone" in some, for example, why would someone �lock � their file? So that people cannot change their work, I �d say. It �d be okay if anywhere else but Eslprintables.... but again, that �s just my point of view.

25 Jan 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

I completely agree with David and brunadutra. BTW, uneditable worksheets usually means that others are unable to correct the mistakes in these wss...

25 Jan 2010     

Samantha.esl
Italy

I personally, never download uneditable worksheets. I �m always dissapointed when I get one. But I leave a thank you note anyway.
I suppose some people do it also so as to protect their cliparts.. don �t know.

25 Jan 2010     

zailda
Brazil

H!

If you want to prepare a notebook layout, just search for "tutorial" and you find some. Some members can send you by email, if you ask. If you want some, just PM me.

To make an uneditable ws, you prepare it using Publisher (office 2007), save it as picture and insert it in a word doc. It �s useful when you want to use many pictures, or when you want to combine two or more and you can find good tutorials here (search for "publisher"). I prepare some with Publisher because they �d be too much heavy to upload if I prepared using word.

You can save the Publisher doc, so if someone finds a mistake, this person can kindly send a PM so you can correct it in the original document, save as picture again, insert it and update the printable.

If a person downloads an uneditable ws and wants to make corrections or edit it, just send the author a PM and ask him to update, or to send by email with the correction.

Have a nice day/evening!

25 Jan 2010     

Sara5
Kuwait

Thank you everyone

25 Jan 2010