Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Audio tracks, where can I find them?    

Audio tracks, where can I find them?

Akanah
Spain

Audio tracks, where can I find them?

HI!

I�m teaching different Trinity levels and I need to find listenings related to different topics. Does anyone know where to find audio tracks?

Thansk :)

20 Sep 2008      

frenchfrog
France

www.esl-lab.com

www.elllo.org (> type a key word in the Google Search bar after selecting www.elllo.org)

http://www.headsupenglish.com/ (> Lower-Intermediate / Upper-Intermediate / Advanced > then look for Listening)

20 Sep 2008     

gloriawpai
Brazil

Frenchfrog,
This site http://www.headsupenglish.com/  is amazing. Tnx a lot (the others, I�ve already known)

20 Sep 2008     

Akanah
Spain

Thanks. I already knew esl-lab but the rest are great, thanks a lot :)

20 Sep 2008     

dareka1
Japan

for real conversations (70 of them) with transcripts, try-

www.englishconversations.org

�Great website for real (ETA: authentic) people having real (ETA: authentic) chats. There�s also a book with fifty simple conversations with questions and audio called, �a business trip� in one big zipped file. The good thing about this site is that they don�t slow down, it�s a natural conversation and you can actually download and burn the audio files so use it in the classroom.

20 Sep 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi, Dareka1
I have a simple question for you because I "really" "seriously" start having some doubt about my understanding of English.

Every time someone asks for help about some specific materials or resources and gets some feedback from some helpful and generous members including you. You, you always start your post with an expression like.. "If you want real/seriously so and so.."; "If you want real/seriously ONLINE book...", "If you want real ... scripts...", "If you want real audio..." 

My question is, why do you always use this "real" in such topics and not "good" or "fabulous" or "wonderful" for example instead?

re-edited 01:02 am

20 Sep 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

You  like it or not I find the way she/he says it means that what the others suggest is not real but what she suggests is.
I can�t understand it otherwise.
Because when I say "I have something good for you" and " I have something really good for you" the meaning is not the same. The second sentence means that what I am offering/suggesting/giving you is good and implicitly anything else offered/suggested/given or even you have is fake (or to be polite, no as good as mine)
I return to you your own remark because first I was addressing Dareka1 not you.Then nothing gives you the right to affirm I did it because of bad humor you�re not sitting next to me. Nothing in my post can give the right to suggest that my intention was to offend him/her because I was just inquiring about some language usage.

Concerning the other post (where you copied the sentence above) there that member was clearly offending towards a new members who was just asking for help. Then some other members confirmed my suspicion

Finally some modesty has never killed any one.

Cheers ! ! !

21 Sep 2008     

dareka1
Japan

@goodnesses-

�Real in this sense means, unlike the other websites that were listed, these are �real� conversations, I could put authentic (I guess I will in the future). The interviewer and his interviewee are not putting on a conversation for the benefit of an esl student, they are doing it for communication. It is not scripted. Authentic material is the bedrock of theory in the latest techniques for teaching esl. The likes of side by side or person to person (to name but a few) are of little value for listening material because the whole thing is staged. If I teach my students English (which I do), is it not better for them to hear an authentic conversation with all the ugly pauses and repetitions than for them to hear a nice but sterile conversation that they will never hear outside of the classroom?

�I like this site, the people are very nice and everyone helps each other. But, I�ve been there with the �fun� worksheets, the students don�t improve enough (I do use them as five/twenty minute fillers though). They need authentic material and attempts to make the language by themselves in an authentic fashion (ie. first give them a hint, then let them make their own conversations without tainting their ideas, after finishing, review and have a look at what a native (or high level speaker of English) would say.

�So in all, authentic material, when it can be used is usually better. Giving students a script before they�ve been able to think it through by themselves is usually to be avoided (because they�ll just copy �what the teacher wants us to say�).

�In my posted link the other day, Andrew Finch is trying to develop material based on task-based learning. Read a bit about him, he seems like a brain.

�About �modesty�- I couldn�t put together half of what these other teachers do on a regular basis. I�m well envious of their creative talent. I�m getting better at Photoshop, Illustrator and Sound Forge, but I�ll never master them to produce the likes of what Frenchfrog and Micah are capable of.

�Long post. sorry.

(I�m sorry, I don�t get the jist of your last point, "that member" is referring to who? I certainly wasn�t meaning to be rude to him)

21 Sep 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi, Dareka1

I absolutely agree with you now. The use of "authentic" materials/... could have changed the meaning considerably. I said suspicion because I had a doubt this is what you meant ("authentic"). Forgive me, but the use of some adjectives/adverbs such as "real/really" , "serious/seriously"... when offering/suggesting sth, after some others did so, very often looks like some kind of arrogance or lake of modesty. I master two very different languages (which I can consider as my mother tongues //lucky no//) French and Arabic in addition to English of course. And believe me in the two of them the use of "real/really" as you put in your message in the situation I described, can�t be well seen.

Just a translation note always relating to the situation mentioned above:
real (Eng) = vrai/serieux (FR) ==> the rest/other(s) is/are fake
authentic (Eng) = r�el(le)/concret(te) (FR) ==> it based on/taken from true/real situations/life
authentique (FR) = real/of good quality by opposition to fake/junk.

Concerning this "that member" it doesn�t refer to you in any way. It refers to another member somehow being rude with another new member asking for help. (rude=giving a command)

Sorry again I had no intention to be unpleasant.

REGARDS

21 Sep 2008     

dareka1
Japan

�Thanks for the clarification. After reading my previous post I realised that some people might not take the meaning I intended.

�I�ve enjoyed the banter though!!Smile

22 Sep 2008     

CotterHUE
Japan

Frenchfrog,

Thanks for recommending my site, Heads Up English (www.headsupenglish.com). I have a lot more than just listening exercises, though. At present, there are more than 400 pages worth of materials for lower-intermediate, upper-intermediate, and advanced English students.

Here are other good listening sites, which I often recommend to my colleagues and students:

I hope everyone finds these sites useful.

Good luck in the classroom!

Chris Cotter

29 Sep 2008