Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > will or going to?    

will or going to?

simplifyyourteaching
Austria

will or going to?

Hello and good evening eslprintable users!

I �m currently correcting a test of my students and came across the following example:
will or going to?

(1) She �s 49 now so next birthday she __________50.
(2) 1989-1991 ____________(be remembered) as years of sweeping political changes in Eastern Europe.

The answer key gives me: for sentence (1 + 2) will be - but would going to be be a right solution as well ?

Please help me as soon as possible. I �m not 100% sure about these examples.

Thank you in anticipation!

Yours, simplifyyourteaching

25 Jan 2010      

ThuongThuong
China

Hi,
I think that we shoud use "will be" for both of these sentences. We use "will" to talk about fact in the future. Meanwhile, "be going to" is used for an intention.
In these two sentences, we talk about facts, so I think "will be" is more exact.

25 Jan 2010     

occurin�
Spain

I agree completely with Thuong

25 Jan 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

I think it is "will" because both are predictions , but it may or may not happen.
Regards!

25 Jan 2010     

emarebe
Italy

Be going to can be used for predictions, but usually for the immediate future and when the predictions are based on something in the present. For example:

"I think it �s going to rain" (the prediction is based on  the clouds in the sky)

"I feel terrible. I �m going to be sick" (the prediction is based on your feeling so sick)

I hope this can help

25 Jan 2010