Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Teaching speaking skill on TECHNOLOGY    

Teaching speaking skill on TECHNOLOGY

ThuongThuong
China

Teaching speaking skill on TECHNOLOGY

Hi all,
I am going to teach pre-intermediate students English speaking skill on the topic Technology. Could you please share some ideas on this?
For the main speaking activity, I want my students to discuss about advantages and disadvantages of technology (or any specific kinds of technology, for ex. computer). However, I still wonder what kind of specific speaking skill I will teach them and how to teach it. 
I plan to give them a role-play activity. One card is for a parent who doesn �t want his/her children to spend too much time using computer. One card is for a teenager who is badly in need of using computer (for many purposes).
What do you think about this activity? Do you think that it is appropriate and effective? Can you suggest some activities which I can teach my student some specific speaking skill? Thank you all for your help!

25 Jan 2010      

angelcris
Brazil

My dear ThuongThuong,
I am just finishing to prepare to upload a handout I used with my students on the theme technology. If you could wait two days more ...
But, I can give you a suggestion - don �t think of technology as just computers or other gadgets. Think of it when you talk about (the invention of) writing, the alphabet, so that you can enlarge the meaning of technology.
Don �t worry too much about which words to teach them - they know a lot of words on technology, for sure. But worry about using many visual aids, including cartoons, so that they are allowed to reflect upon the topic.
If you look for in youtube, you are going to find many videos on the topic, to be used as a warm-up.
I hope I have helped you.
Cheers!!Star

25 Jan 2010