Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Indefinite article "a" pronunciation!!!! Please help me!! : )    

Indefinite article "a" pronunciation!!!! Please help me!! : )

ELOJOLIE274
France

in France we teach our pupils to say "uh" (schwa) when it �s in a sentence and it �s not important to understand it. and i also agree with the people who said it was British English. we call that form "unstressed" to oppose it to stressed words that have a real importance in the sentence.
"ey" /ei/ is more common in American English, and, if i �m not mistaken, i �ve heard it a lot in South African English, but a native speaker might have to confirm it...

it �s like pronouncing CAN, you can say "kuhn" or "kan" depending on the context...
the rule seems to be than we use "uh" (the schwa) when the word is very important to understand the whole sentence. On the contrary you use the "stressed form" of the word when this word is important to understand "do you want a piece of cake or two?"

26 Jan 2010     

Rafinha83
Brazil

Hi everybody!!!!!!!!!! Thank you very much!!! You really helped me!!!Clap

Kisses,
Rafinha

28 Jan 2010     

< Previous   1    2