Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > School systems in USA or Canada    

School systems in USA or Canada

aliciapc
Uruguay

School systems in USA or Canada

Hi everyone,
I �m doing a project on school systems in North America and I would need someone to tell me how it works in USA or Canada. I don �t need a loooong explanation, just when primary ends, then secondary school, age when they finish before going to college or university (is it the same?) , that is, any information that can help me.
The idea is to let sts know about the differences with other countries.
Thanks a lot in advance !!  Big smile

26 Jan 2010      

manonski (f)
Canada

The following links will provide you info about the Quebec school system in Canada

26 Jan 2010     

mizutamari
United States

In general the U.S. has two different systems; one that uses a junior high school and one that uses a middle school.

Junior high school system:  Elementary school K-6th grade, junior high 7th-9th grade, high school 10th-12th grade.

Middle school system:  Elementary school K-5th grade, middle school 6th-8th grade, high school 9th-12th grade.

Most students graduate high school at 18 years of age. 

Which system is used depends on the boards of education within a city of a certain state.

26 Jan 2010     

douglas
United States

Mizu--that is probably one of the most useful explanations of the US school system I have seen. 

The only other note I would add is that exact grades for the two systems may be altered slightly by different boards of education ( i.e. we had 7-8 as junior high and 9-12 as high school).

Douglas

26 Jan 2010     

libertybelle
United States

I went to the junior high system, but it was later changed to the middle school system.
This was in Los Angeles California.

L

26 Jan 2010     

douglas
United States

On the central coast of California I wa sthe first 9th grade class to share a high school campus with 10-12th graders.  The 7-8th graders from three "elementary" schools were put together at  a single campus that same year (1976).  Previously, 9th graders were joined at a single campus for 1 year.  Different school districts did things different ways.

26 Jan 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Thank you very much for the explanations about systems in the US, and also for the link about Quebec. You �ve been VERY helpful.
Just so you know, it is similar here, we have K to 6th grade, finishing when they are 11, but then, instead of continuing what you call 7th to 12th grade we start 1st to 6th grade ,again but with a different name, from 12 to 17 . At 18 they usually enter university or whatever they want to study.
Thanks again to the 4 of you!     Smile

26 Jan 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

I thought of sth else you may clarify!  Do they attend college or university ?
What is the name for 18-year-old who �s just finished highschool ? Graduate ?
Thank you !

26 Jan 2010