Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > his joint ´s a bit like...    

his joint ´s a bit like...

dulek
Poland

his joint ´s a bit like...

Hello.
Could anybody help me to understand the expression which I ´ve found in one of the books for upper-intermediate level. The sentence is: "I guess his joint ´s a bit like Uncle Keith himself, very laid-back and relaxed".I don ´t quite follow why the word joint was used in this sentences. Can I also have examples with similar expressions using this word. Thanks in advance 

26 Jan 2010      

MarionG
Netherlands

´Joint � here is used to mean ´place �, like a bar or a restaurant or a hang-out of some sort...
It is a kind of slang I suppose, "a cool joint" or ´a hip joint � or ´a shady joint �
(a place were people join each other to spend time)
This is out of the top of my head, you can probably find it in a good (slang) dictionary as well. Hope this helps.
Marion

26 Jan 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Marion is totally correct - in the old days they also called a run-down joint for a dive.

One of the most famous lines in a film using this expression, was in Casablanca
when the joint owner Rick (played by Humphrey Bogart) says:

"Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine".

Play it again, Sam!
Libertybelle

26 Jan 2010     

zoemorosini
United States

Uncle Keith sounds like the bartender or owner of the bar, or "joint", or at least a regular customer, because of the possessive "his" beforehand.

26 Jan 2010