Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > s.o.s present perfect    

s.o.s present perfect

sassouki
Tunisia

s.o.s present perfect

hi everyone, I need your help and expertise.
I �m going to teach the present perfect tense in a lesson about tourism. in our educational system, teaching grammar is not full-frontal, it should be smooth and integrated within the theme. do you have any suggestions? I want to make this as simple as possible for me and my pupils. they �re beginners.

27 Jan 2010      

darryl_cameron
Hong Kong

Hi sassouki

You raised an interesting point. Actually I believe all teaching should be smooth and integrated within a theme.

I teach grammar and oral and must follow the schools current theme as well. I often stray away .... but I try Wink

For my classes I taught the grammar for present perfect. (We use the Present Perfect to say that an action happened at an unspecified time before now). 

ALL my examples are along the theme.

e.g.
  • Have you been to Disneyland many times?
  • I have been to Disneyland.
  • Exercises equally so, for example writing a postcard in present perfect tense or playing the game "Have you ever / Have you never"

27 Jan 2010     

s.lefevre
    Brazil

I remember that there are some worksheets about this subject. Just try present perfect at the search engine. I remember one which is exactly about this. There is a person in a room full with posters from different countries and cities and then there are questions. "Has she been to ".... Of course I don �t remember whose worksheet  it was, but I �m sure that some members will remember. I also have a worksheet about something like this but as I don �t have my computer at the moment, I can �t find it. I will get my computer back in a few days, if it �s not too late, I can send you my worksheet about this subject. If you are interested, contact me .

27 Jan 2010     

sassouki
    Tunisia

Hi, s. lefevre thanks, send it to me plz, this is my e-mail [email protected]

27 Jan 2010     

tahriali
    Tunisia

Hi sassouki!
    Get this tip: Go ahead and teach this tense (as well as others) in the way it should be done, deductively or inductively, it doesn �t matter. I �ve been teaching for years and I think students should be provided with tense forms and uses at an early stage. I �m dealing with secondary students and we �re suffering a lot and spending extra energy and time to explain rules that should have been done earlier. Yet, I can �t deny that Tenses should be taught in context via questions or visuals starting with:
            Have you ever done......?        Have you seen ....? (indefinite past action vs past tense)
            How long have you been ...?   (introducing since/ for)
            Have you done ....yet?    (not yet)

27 Jan 2010     

juliag
    Japan

Tourism would seem to be a good theme to teach this in context.

You could start by teaching present perfect with experience and asking sts (and sts asking each other) Have you ever been to...? with different countries and make a bar graph of sts answers on the board, so you can then use that to make positive and negative sentences i.e. Tom has been to France, but he �s never been to Ireland. etc.

Then you could ask students to imagine where they want to go and give them a print with the outline of a  suitcase on it. Give them just one minute to "pack" the suitcase by writing/drawing the things they will take in it. You should have pre-prepared an "ideal list" (or pictionary?) of things for them to have packed. Work down the list with each st saying: I have already packed... or I haven �t packed... yet to teach the use of present perfect with already/yet.

As 12:23 at night my creativity starting to run out a bit, but for teaching with for/since you could get sts to make a list of things they want to do in that country and for each one say how long they have wanted to do it: i.e. I �ve wanted to swim with dolphins since I was four.

Or they could write postcards along the line of: I �ve been staying in Madrid for 3 days etc.

As to the use of present perfect with just, how about hotel/restaurant complaints? i.e. something along the lines of phoning the desk clerk with I �ve just found a mouse in my room, or calling the waiter: I �ve just found a fly in my soup etc.

or, something more topical, you could get them to imagine signs of terrorists at the airport and telling the police: I �ve just seen a man carrying a big, suspicious-looking bag, I �ve just seen a woman leave a bag in the toilets etc.

Hope some of these at least are helpful.
    Good luck.
    Julia

27 Jan 2010     

yanogator
    United States

You could also research foods from different countries, and use questions about "Have you ever eaten...?" To increase the positive responses on travel, you could use different cities in your area. "I have recently visited my grandmother in Kairouan. Have you ever been to Kairouan?"

Bruce

28 Jan 2010     

GeorginaSZ
    China

As others have mentioned, "Have you ever...?" Questions are always good as they clearly illustrate one ain use of the present perfect - to talk about any time in the past up to the present. I like to contarst it with the past simple to help students understand the usage.

e.g.

Student A:

29 Jan 2010     

GeorginaSZ
    China

OOPS accidently sent... Let me finish...

Student A: Have you ever been to America? (Anytime in the past)
    Student B: Yes, I have.
    Student A: When did you go?/What did you do? (Because we are now referring to a specific time in the past)

A good activity is a class survey:

Find someone who...
    ...rode a camel.
    ...travelled overseas.
    ...stayed in a 5 star hotel.

The students have to change the verbs to past participles to form a "Have you ever..?" question and then when they find someone who answers "yes", they must ask follow up questions in the past tense.

Hope that makes sense and is helpful!

Georgina

29 Jan 2010