Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help with some doubts    

Help with some doubts

WestHampstead
Spain

Help with some doubts

Hi! Could you please help me with some doubts?
Can you say:
She �s wearing high heels = She �s wearing high heeled shoes?
If a T-shirt has pictures of a duck, can you say a ducked T-shirt? I suppose it �s wrong I �ve never heard it, my students wrote it.
What �s the difference between an evening dress and a night dress? Evening dress is for a party anda night dress for sleeping? is that right?
what �s exactly the difference between stockings and tights? women wear tights with skirts and I know about  the Xmas stocking.
The word pyjamas is it singular or plural? She �s wearing a pyjamas/pajamas.
If a t-shirt it �s by Tommy Hilfiger for example, you say a brand �s name T-shirt?
What �s the correct order of adjectives in English?
Thanks!!!

31 Jan 2010      

tancredo
Portugal

1 - you can say : high-heeled shoes
                           a ten-year-old boy
                           a four-legged table
   (they are adjectives )
I don �t think you can say a ducked T-shirt but let�s hope some native teacher is on the forum and tell us.

2 - I think you are right about the dress.

3 - stockings is different from tights. You put on two stockings - one on each leg and you put one one pair of tights - an entire item of clothes (with sort of panties)

4 - Pyjamas/pajamas - I think that the verb that follows is singular.
" Your pyjamas is on the bed"

5 - As for the T-shirt I think you can say : a T-shirt with a name.

Let �s wait for other and better opinions!

6 -  You �ll find the correct order of adjectives in English in a good grammar. Sometimes it is a bit difficult to put them in the correct place!

Have a nice week.

31 Jan 2010     

Nicola5052
United Kingdom

Hi
You can say either "she �s wearing high heels"or "she �s wearing high-heeled shoes".
Pyjamas is plural - your pyjamas are on the bed.
You most definitely can �t say a ducked T-shirt!
The Tommy T-shirt would be a brand-name shirt.

Hope that helps
Nicola

31 Jan 2010     

WestHampstead
Spain

Thanks! really useful!!!
One more question: pyjamas/pajamas Is one for American English and one British?

31 Jan 2010     

yanogator
United States

Yes.
pyjamas - British
pajamas - US

Also, tights is the British word. In the US, we say panty-hose. Tights are something a little different. Stockings (the individual kind) are also called "hose" here.

Bruce

31 Jan 2010     

dturner
Canada

You would never say a ducked T-shirt.  A duck T-Shirt is OK.  or a T shirt with a duck on it.
We would usually say high heels, but if I said "high heeled shoes", it almost sounds as if I �m trying to emphasize the fact that they are high heels on a pair of shoes. 
You are correct about evening and night dress.  I would never say night dress.  I would use night gown. We often say a night shirt to sleep in, especially worn by men. 
I �m in Canada and would use pajamas, pyjamas. 
Tights to me have a different feeling than panty hose.  Panty hose are see-through or slightly opaque, like nylon stockings.  Tights, to me are not see-through.  I would wear tights when I went ice skating.  They are often thicker than panty hose.  But, these are perhaps cultural differences. 
We would say a brand name t shirt.  No S.  Hope this helps.  dt

1 Feb 2010     

Monkena
Germany

The ducked T-shirt: duck can only be used as a verb when talking about the act of ducking (to avoid a thrown object for example; or to push someone under water);

In the UK, tights will always refer to the two-legged form of panty hose, regardless of thickness; stockings are almost always the one legged type pulled to the top of the thigh. 

1 Feb 2010