Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Could! why not Can    

Could! why not Can

ayda louhichi
Tunisia

Could! why not Can

Hi dear members of Eslprintables,
I �m confused with this title of a text: "A Friend I could never forget".
Why could and not can

31 Jan 2010      

ebrahmi
Tunisia

"A friend I could never forget" could mean:

* a friend I was not able to forget (i.e. the context is the past & could expresses inability in the past)

or

* a friend I won �t forget (i.e. the context is the future & could expresses impossibility)

as for can, we can �t use it coz it can �t express any of the aforementioned functions.

Anyway, this is what I think.

31 Jan 2010     

sa3ida
Tunisia

HI AYDA
I think that till the moment of saying these words, the speaker was not able to forget his friend that �s why the use of the simple past is accurate.

31 Jan 2010     

baiba
Latvia

Ayda, in my opinion it is the 2nd conditional and could never forget means "it would not be possible to forget". It is a hypothetical action, not the real past.

31 Jan 2010     

tahriali
Tunisia

Hi Ayda
I think this is the title of a lesson in book 1 secondary. It tells the story of two friends who lost touch for years and eventually reunited. So, �to forget � is restricted to the past time as they are united now. It can be paraphrased as follows: A friend I could never forget during those years.

31 Jan 2010     

yanogator
United States

tahriali �s explanation sounds good. The others are definitely correct gramatically, although "can" is also correct (but not as good), with a future meaning. If you use "can", it can mean "A friend I will never be able to forget."

Bruce

31 Jan 2010     

ayda louhichi
Tunisia

Thank you all for your replies, thanks a lot

1 Feb 2010