Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Teaching Imperative verbs    

Teaching Imperative verbs

Khadooy
United Arab Emirates

Teaching Imperative verbs

Dear fellow teachers,

I have a lesson- that is my practicum course at school- about instructional texts that is going to be about writing a recipe... particulary listing ingredients and equipment....

I am going to ask the children to list some ingredients and equipment for making a sandwich...and then as a closure for the lesson, I want them to give some examples of ingredients and then I want to ask them which verbs go with a particular ingredient...

For example,
for the ingredient �butter� we can use the following verbs: butter, apply butter, or spread butter....

I want to know if you have any ideas how I can make this closure in a exciting and educational way.

Thanks a lot,

Khadooy

15 Nov 2008      

urpillay
Spain

Hi Khadooy,
I think it could be great for your students to create some easy recipes and creat their own exercises like in this online newspaper from some schools in Catalonian http://dewey.uab.es/cad/CRAZY%20KITCHEN/crazy%20kitchen.htm. They do not need an oven and instead of making a sandwich for example with the same ingredients and some more they created a dominoes, for example. An after that they created exercises.
Have a nice day.
Inma Alc�zar

15 Nov 2008     

H.AL-Shamsi
United Arab Emirates

hi

use mime
i use flash game and took to my english computer lab and the play how to make a sandwich
thery were exciting and ask me to help them^-^

use real thing by doing food recipe in front of them they will remeber

Winku r teaching same grade i taught tomrrow we will make menu poster to play game of order in the restaurant

15 Nov 2008     

Khadooy
United Arab Emirates

WOOOW

Thanks urpillay and Alshamsi for the wonderful ideas

I like the dominoes and the flashcards....they enlightened me...

I think I am going to make some flashcards of some ingredients and the verbs that go with these ingredients... like the dominoes.......then I�ll give the children and they can think which flashcards go with such verbs...

Thanks a million dears...

By the way--Al Shamsi--I teach fourth graders in a private school--this is my university practicum course..Wink
and I hope that I will teach this lesson very well ...as my mentor teacher, university supervisor and the course instructor will attend this lesson...

Wish for me the best plz.

15 Nov 2008     

cheezels
New Zealand

If you have the time a good way to teach this is for the children to write out the instructions they THINK they will need.
A great activity in pairs or small groups depending on you students.

Then YOU make the sandwich following THEIR instructions TO THE LETTER. I can tell you, that it never goes right! The sandwich ends up all over the place, because if you don�t say WHERE to spread the butter for example then you can spread it on the plate or wherever :-) Being as dramatic as possible to show that you you following EXACTLY their instructions hehe.....

Its great for then helping them to realise that they need to be more specific in HOW to write effective instructions.
Resulting in some excellent instructional writing from ALL students, even students who struggle, because they have seen and participated in the process so now can go back and improve it!

I have also done this with "making a cup of tea" (with hilarious results the first time you follow the students instructions)
and also "how to make a cup of hot chocolate".

Little instructions like to stir, and to actually take the teabag out of the cup, or even to boil the water!!!!!!

This is a really fun topic, so enjoy!

15 Nov 2008     

Khadooy
United Arab Emirates

cheezels,

I think you are absolutely true... I think it�s going to be a mess but as you said enjoying :))

Yes ..I think that they are going to learn how to order their instructions ... FUN

thanks a lot and cheer up :)

15 Nov 2008     

H.AL-Shamsi
United Arab Emirates

the same metariels i teach now

do you teach new parade series?

which university?^-^

i got an A in my teaching practice  i finish university with
 GPA 3.78 (EXLLECTENT )

I use dominoes alot because it easy to do and control the class

15 Nov 2008