Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Accuracy Vs Fluency in EFL    

Accuracy Vs Fluency in EFL

tahriali
Tunisia

Accuracy Vs Fluency in EFL

How would you comment on this saying?
"Accuracy and fluency are not contradictory but rather like two pillars that support the spiral stairs toward communicative competence."
Can we opt for one facet of teaching English at the expense of another?
Which one would you take:
                        1/ Accuracy at the expense of fluency
                        2/ Fluency at the expense of accuracy
N.B- In such developing countries like Tunisia, no third option is provided.

1 Feb 2010      

conqueror_mko
Turkey

second one ıs better for me

1 Feb 2010     

teachertonyinchina
China

I think accuracy is more important because fluency is a natural progression that comes with practice. If you are taught to speak with fluency your pronunciation suffers and more than likely you will never speak good English.

1 Feb 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Tahriali

That �s a difficult one. Both are necessary, but, if I had to pick just one I would say that everything depends on your ( or your students � ) aims.
If you are teaching groups to go on holidays, here and there, and be able to speak and understand a little, well, fluency is more useful, my opinion.
If you are teaching groups who need to interact, let �s say, in the business area, probably, it would be important to have enough accuracy. You won �t want them to sign a contract with some "doubtful" sentences on the middle that, just because of their lack of accuracy they shouldn �t sign, but they would.
Hope this can help, just a little bitsy opinion
Linda

2 Feb 2010     

lshorton99
China

I personally think one can �t exist without the other. However I agree with Linda. It would depend upon your students, the situation and their needs.

Personally, at lower levels I focus more on accuracy. I would call it building foundations for future progression. However, if I have an elementary learner who is speaking with any degree of fluency, I wouldn �t interrupt them to correct their mistakes as I believe this may affect their confidence.

If I was forced to pick one I suppose I �d go for fluency as long as intelligibilty wasn �t affected. If they could communicate their ideas then that is the purpose of language and the reson we teach them.

Still, I can �t believe you can teach one without the other!

2 Feb 2010     

yanogator
United States

I, too, think Linda says it best, that it depends on the needs of the students. In general, though, I would say that it is better to build fluency at the expense of accuracy, because more communication takes place that way. I mean that the student should be allowed to speak or write without being interrupted, and that corrections should be made afterwards. Keep the flow (since that is the same word as fluency) going to build confidence, then show how the student can improve what he said.

Bruce

2 Feb 2010     

tahriali
Tunisia

Hi everybody
I do agree with all of you- Both fluency and accuracy make up language proficiency and whether we focus on the code or the message/ performance or competence we still need to be ecclectic in our teaching especially with students who lack all opportunities of language practice.
In Tunisia, for instance, students learn English as a foreign language for seven years (ages 12 to 19) for an average of 3 periods a week. It �s important to note here that students rarely use the language outside the classroom context. Statistically, they would have an equal share of around 12 hours (discontinuous flow) real practice along the 7 years of studies.
What do you think then?
                     1/ build up a well-grounded competence with a high potential of success
                     2/ focus on the speaking skill to enhance a skype-like kind of language
                     3/ be ecclectic with a high potential of losing them both

2 Feb 2010