Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > translation needed    

translation needed

Akanah
Spain

translation needed

Hi, does anybody know the meaning of this: 痛みはただ言葉です? when does a word end and start the next one?

Thanks,
 Olga

2 Feb 2010      

juliag
Japan

Hi Olga

My Japanese is far from perfect but hope this will help:
痛み   は  ただ   言葉     です.
itami ha  tada  kotoba  desu.

The literal translation it "Pain is just words."
But I �m not quite sure what it means. It could be something along the line of you can transcend your pain by not putting it into words, but when I just called my (Japanese) friend to ask him, he says he isn �t quite sure what the phrase means, either.

Do you have any more context for it that you could give us?
Hope it �s some help anyway.
Julia

2 Feb 2010     

dturner
Canada

I speak some as well, and it doesn �t make sense to me either.  Try another Japanese native speaker.  

2 Feb 2010     

dturner
Canada

I speak some as well, and it doesn �t make sense to me either.  Try another Japanese native speaker.  

2 Feb 2010     

juliag
Japan

Had another thought - could actually also mean the opposite, that "itami" (pain) is just a word and therefore cannot begin to express the depth of actual physical/emotional/mental "real" pain.

Do you have the context so I can get back to my Japanese friend on it?

2 Feb 2010     

conqueror_mko
Turkey

El dolor es s�lo palabras?

2 Feb 2010     

Akanah
Spain

Hi guys, thank you for your answers. There is no context as it �s a tattoo so, I guess, according to your translatation, it could mean something like don �t fear the pain or, if you wanna fight the pain just think it �s a word, no?

Thanks, Olga 

2 Feb 2010     

yanogator
United States

Yes, it sounds like a "mind over matter" matter to me, saying that pain is nothing, so just ignore it. I could be completely wrong, of course.

Bruce

2 Feb 2010