Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > COMPUTER CLASS    

COMPUTER CLASS

mary-butterfly
Brazil

COMPUTER CLASS

HI,I HAVE TO TAKE MY STUDENTS TO THE COMPUTER CLASSROOM ONCE A MONTH
AND PREPARE SOMETHING TOGETHER WITH THE COMPUTER TEACHER.
I HAVE ALMOST 40 STUDENT IN EACH CLASS
WHAT SHOULD I DO? WHAT KIND OF CLASS?

THANKS IN ADVANCE
HUGS FROM BRAZIL

2 Feb 2010      

anitarobi
Croatia

Wow, Mary, that �s a big class - 40! The only way I see you doing it is dividing the class into groups and working on various projects. Depends on the size of the classroom - if possible, they can all work on their projects at the same time. If not, some groups can work on computers for half the lesson, and the other groups can sit at a desk aside and prepare necessary notes on the projects, and then the groups can switch. A lot also depends on the number of computers and the age of the sts - whether you have a pc per st or a pc per 5 sts. I can only tell you what I would do, because I �ve had experience with computer classes in English, though not this big a number of sts. You could try this:
1. depending on the size of the classroom, the number of pcs per sts, divide your class into groups (I �d go for fixed groups, not let them change places all the time)- they could all play the same game but also make written notes about it - you can keep score as to which group has reached a level, etc. and in the end they can do a ws, test or a writing workshop using the vocabulary from the game
2. then talk to your computer colleague to see what �s possible - you can do lots of projects: a) choose some English computer learning cd-roms (many are available and safer than online games) - DK Multimedia has great cd-roms and so does Longman (historical, spy...)
b) work on ppt presentations - have each group make a presentation of an English speaking country or a historically important person (this is pretty simple, they can bring notes, stuff on usb-sticks they prepare at home, you could provide them with a guideline ws, with set time, length, number of topics... They can also add sounds, pics, even recordings of their voices...
3. if you can work online, there are also lots of online audio/text books they can work on as projects and then use the knowledge in the classical classroom...
It could last till the end of the school year and then you could have a presentation for parents.
Hope this gives you some idea!
Anita

2 Feb 2010     

verybouncyperson
Spain

Another idea if you have internet access is to do a webquest - it �s like a treasure hunt but on the internet.

You could prepare a different topic for each class, e.g. Tourism in London, World Records, Facts about Brazil, Food from around the world.  Prepare a series of questions that the students have to work in groups to find the answers to.

Good luck!

2 Feb 2010