Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > There ´s something very wrong with this sentence...    

There ´s something very wrong with this sentence...

Lana.
Ireland

There ´s something very wrong with this sentence...

What?

If I got the earlier bus, I ____________ (can) come home at 5 o ´clock.

3 Feb 2010      

Yulia Mo
Russian Federation

Mmmm... It ´s evening and my head isn ´t working properly. I don ´t see what ´s wrong. I would say
If I got the earlier bus i would be able to come home at  5 o ´clock.

3 Feb 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

If I got the earlier bus, I could come home at 5 o ´clock. - should be correct but sounds strange...
If I had caught the earlier bus, I could have come home at 5 o ´clock. - sounds a lot better to me (sorry about changing GET into CATCH, it ´s just my nature)

3 Feb 2010     

sa3ida
Tunisia

HI LANA

it ´s really confusing but I think a possible answer can be the following:

....... I would be able to come......

but wait a minute, here in this sentence what should be put between parenthesis is the verb "to come", because the whole type of conditional, I mean the unreal conditional provides an imaginary result for a given situation, it means impossibility so the most accurate answer is:
I would come home at 5....

3 Feb 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

What about "be able" instead of can?
 .... I would be able to ... ?
If there is a cruise I wanna join, ok? Don ´t forget friends.LOL
Have a nice day.
linda

3 Feb 2010     

mimau
France

I agree with ladybird : if I had got...I could have come...but I ´d rahter use If I had caught
Bye
Sylvie

3 Feb 2010     

conqueror_mko
Turkey

what about " ı might come"

3 Feb 2010     

conqueror_mko
Turkey

earlier bus or previous bus ? is the mistake here ? ( lol )

3 Feb 2010     

Zora
Canada

This looks like one of those silly cases of using "can" instead of "be able to"...

I ´ve often come across exercises where the teachers wanted students to realise that it should be "be able to" instead of "can". Silly though since it ´s not exactly the same verb...

If I got the earlier bus, I would be able to come home at 5 o ´clock.

3 Feb 2010     

Lana.
Ireland

Guys,

you can all win tons of love from me forever and ever, and for eternity. Smile When I ´m millionnaire I ´ll take you all on a cruise.

I agree with Anita -

If I got the earlier bus I could come home at 5 o ´clock. - OK, sounds correct but strange, because it looks as if the speaker is imagining the situation (2nd conditional), but "the" makes it a very realistic bus - which bus?  "the earlier bus".

Now,

If I had got the earlier bus I could have come home at 5 o ´clock (missed opportinity).

So, what I should do is probably change "the" for "an" -

If I got an earlier bus I could come home at 5 o ´clock... (imagining this standing at a bus stop).

Am I right?

3 Feb 2010     

pollyanna_pl
Greece

Hi,
I would think "the earlier bus" = the earlier of the two we are considering, so it can still be a hypothetical bus.
To me "if I got the earlier bus, I could come home at five" sounds fine. What is also implied, to my ears, is "I suppose I could, but it´s rather difficult, or at any rate, do I really want to do that?"
Does it make sense?

3 Feb 2010     

1    2    Next >