Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Food vocabulary question    

Food vocabulary question

MarionG
Netherlands

I think yulia is right, Kebab is minced (sheep/goat) meat and shashlik or shishlik is with pieces of meat (any kind - beef or chicken as well)
 I would actually go with the �skewer � option minau suggested. True, the stick itself is the skewer, but you can use the term �meat-skewer � if you do not want (or are unable) to go into the culinairy details....
Actually, in Holland we have �brochettes� which I suppose comes from French. The flavor is distinctly different from the more middle eastern kebab or shislik, more European, often with grilled sweet peppers and always with chuncks of meat rather than minced meat. (very tasty as well for a meat lover like myself)
Anyway, you �re making me hungry!! Here in the old city of Jerusalem (or just outside it actually) they sell the best kebab you can imagine!! (mmm, with big chuncks of grilled tomato and onion and heavenly, greasy, minced sheep meat bursting with flavor! aaaahhh ....)

4 Feb 2010     

tahriali
Tunisia

Kebab (Arabic: كباب also occasionally transliterated as kebap, kabab, kebob, kabob, kibob, kebhav, kephav) is a wide variety of meat dishes originating in southwest and south Asia, and now found worldwide. The phrase is essentially Persian in origin and Arabic tradition has it that the dish was invented by medieval Iranic soldiers who used their swords to grill meat over open-field fires. Shish kebab, also Shashlik, (in which "shish" is from Turkish şiş, pronounced /ʃiʃ/, meaning "skewer") is a dish consisting of meat threaded on a skewer and grilled. Any kind of meat may be used; cubes of fruit or vegetables are often threaded on the skewer as well. Typical vegetables include eggplant, tomato, bell pepper, onions, and mushrooms. In most dialects of North American English, the word "kebab" usually refers to shish kebab. (from wikipedia)

4 Feb 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Downunder we simply call it a kebab. 

We have meat, vegetarian and fruit kebabs.  All of these are made by threading cubed ingredients onto a thin wooden/metal stick called a skewer.

5 Feb 2010     

kprichorniana
Mexico

Yep! I agree shish kebab or just kebab will do.

5 Feb 2010     

teachertonyinchina
China

In England we call them kebabs, we make them with meat, fruit and veggies or a combination of the three.

5 Feb 2010     

douglas
United States

"shish kebab"  or "kebab" -- skewer is just the stick it is on.

5 Feb 2010     

< Previous   1    2