Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > vegetables    

vegetables

yetigumboots
Germany

vegetables

Hi,

Does anyone know if kohl-rabi (vegetable) has an English name?

9 Feb 2010      

Zora
Canada

We call it Kohlrabi in Canada too...

9 Feb 2010     

douglas
United States

not common in the USA, but I �m pretty sure we call it Kohlrabi also.

Douglas

9 Feb 2010     

Poohbear
Germany

dict.cc offers the following:

Kohlrabi {m}
kohlrabi
bot. turnip cabbage [Brassica oleracea spp.]
Kohlrabi {pl}
bot. kohlrabies

9 Feb 2010     

yetigumboots
Germany

ok will keep it as kohlrabi on my worksheet. Thanks guys. x

9 Feb 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Downunder we also call it kohlrabi.  Apparently it means �cabbage turnip �.  Like in USA it �s not common here.

9 Feb 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Ladybird

I have no idea why it is not popular here.  The supermarket does stock it but not in huge quantities like the more common vegetables.  Maybe its alien appearance is a bit to scary for the average Ozzie consumer...

I do have some summer recipes for kohlrabi so maybe I should try them out while our hot weather continues to linger.

Cheers

Jayho

9 Feb 2010     

Zora
Canada

In Canada, I �ve always seen it in the produce section but I don �t know anybody who ever has actually eaten it... sort of like Kumquats... nice looking fruit, but nobody ever buys it. lol

9 Feb 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Zora, I know exactly what you mean.  I too don�t know anyone who has ever bought or eaten it. 

And you know what, those unusual sorts of fruit and veg, that most people don�t buy, seem to stay on the shelves for soooooo long until they are all withered and wrinkly and when they are just about unrecognizable as anything remotely tasty and edible they get a discount sticker slapped on them before being thrown out on the rubbish heap way past their time.  Such a shame.  We should be more brazen and experiment.

9 Feb 2010     

eng789
Israel

It �s called kohlrabi in Hebrew also. 

I found this :

Kohlrabi (German Turnip)

9 Feb 2010     

yetigumboots
Germany

Well I agree with Ladybird... They are yummy... with our without sauce, Mmmmmmm

9 Feb 2010     

1    2    Next >