Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Just an impression    

Just an impression

sassouki
Tunisia

Just an impression

I have the impression that eslprintables is turning into eslgrammarprintables. if you send a grammar printable (that is well designed of course) you may get up to 400pts a day. I suppose that this is sending a wrong msg to new members who need pts and will eventually play by the rule and upload only printables that "SELL": pics+ grammar point and we will end up uploading and downloading grammar printables only. does anyone agree with me or am I the only one to think that? I am FOR variation!

11 Feb 2010      

PhilipR
Thailand

I beg to differ. It �s ESLgrammar_and_readingprintables. Pig
Accuracy before fluency and the old grammar-translation method? Not in my classroom.Angry

11 Feb 2010     

Mariethe House
France

I "dunno"! it �s not so obvious as what you say! There are a lot of grammar printables and vocabulary pictionaries, this is true  but this is probably what people need most!
I know that in my country, ( France) we are not so grammar geared but more communication and action geared , that �s why I upload ws that go in that direction( see my ws!!LOL) . As for points, some more general ws that have nothing to do with grammar get lots of downloads! Have a look at this for example !
http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=228663#thetop or this:

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=228665#thetop

So There is no real problem  ! There is so much stuff already of all sorts!

11 Feb 2010     

rmouh
Morocco

I totally agree with you. I have the same remark. I have downloaded excellent reading worksheets that didn �t get a lot of points.

11 Feb 2010     

stexstme
France

Oh , well ... Maybe they get loads of points,I just don �t know ... But whenever I look for speaking / games / pairwork / voc.ws / glyphs / ... whatever you can think of!Wink, I always find great stuff here. Thumbs Up Who cares about points ????????LOL

Just my opinion ;o) 
Sylvie

11 Feb 2010     

Vivi Quir
Argentina

I agree with you Sassouki and Philip as well. The thing is also that most people download "layouts" and "members"  no matter how repetitive and dull or boring the text is. A thousand times I have seen  "invented texts" about Peter / Mary / Susan / Pepito ..a doctor , a footballer (with the same colourful pre set layout of course...)  Do you believe that sts care about them? I may give one of those sheets to my sts, then they will say" agaaain, Miss???

I favour "variety" and, personally, I upload stuff I have already tried with my sts. I don �t upload anything to "sell" ... Just my point of view... Have a great day!!!

11 Feb 2010     

stexstme
France

Dear Vivi Quir,
I/we all know that! I �ve been a member for a long time now ( though my points won �t showLOL) But one is always free to download the ws he/she wants!! If people like grammar ws, then, I guess everything is fine! Same with Peter �s, Mary �s or Susan �s routine ...
I guess we are mistaken because you are speaking about the number of downloads, & I �m speaking about the huge variety of ws here : have a look! You �ll find wonderful activities here!( Not always from the most dwloaded ones )
Complaining about grammar ws  sounds to me ( sorry! ) as if I complained about the Simpsons � ws ( I do NOT like the simpsons AT ALL!! Confused) - just ... Errr, personal!! All I have to do is : Just do not download!!!
You favour .. � variety � ... To me, ESLprintables is just the site!! What people download is just ... none of my concerns. But even if I do not download a grammar ws which gets over 300 points, I guess it cannot be as bad as �that �!
Wink

11 Feb 2010     

kate0611
Korea, South

Hi all, I am a new member and I have to say that there does seem to be a lot of grammar printables.  I wasn �t really interested in grammar because the school system where I am is already grammar laden. What I need most are conversation activities especially for teaching  young children who are not at a grammar lesson stage yet.    However, after having looked through some printables I realized that they do offer a change from what is a typical grammar lesson or homework activity.  It is also nice to see some conversation cards.  I am really impressed by the hard work and the creativity that goes into all the worksheets. 
The comment made about new people, and uploading printables that sell could be quite true since that is exactly what I thought after looking through the printables.  I admit that I was concerned about having enough points to download printouts that I might want.  After reading this forum, I am backtracking and I will work on putting up more sheets to get points if I need them.  I hope I will be able add uploads that will contribute to a greater diversity in the worksheets. 

Happy Valentine �s day to all of you.

Cheers,
Kate

11 Feb 2010     

Zora
Canada

I have to agree to a point since I often upload "fun" activities like glyphs and cryptograms and not many people seem to download them (not that that bothers me, I make them for my friends here and for my own students) but sometimes I do wonder, if it �s because they aren �t "flashy enough" or people don �t know how to use them, or perhaps it �s because many just prefer classes that are done "by the book" and require little or no preparation beyond bringing a grammar activity to class.

I don �t know really, I just think that English has become very boring at school for many  students and it �s such a shame when there are tons of stuff teachers can do.

11 Feb 2010     

Mariethe House
France

hi  Linda dear!!

The problem with teaching( being a regular teacher... well I don �t know if it �s the correct word but I am sure you understandLOL) in schools is that you have students year after year and  that you are torn between giving them fun and teaching them some sound and solid basics!
I  must admit that I try to be as creative as possible but when it comes to real knowledge I am horrified to see how little some pupils know after 4 years! So Guilt falls upon me and I must admit that when I try to be more   grammar based kids seem to understand better!
On the other hand, after teaching for 35 years now ( phew!! Poor kids!!) My conclusion is that the pupils who succeed ( and what I am going to say is not original at all!!) are those who are deeply motivated and want to learn in the first place! No matter how creative or �classical � you are, if they don �t have the incentive to learn (an aspect which you can �t really influence) they won �t learn! Of course, you can provide fun activities so that time passes more pleasantly but it doesn �t mean that your teaching will be more efficient. I have classes of 30 pupils and thought that was why some kids were not succeeding..... On the other hand I have a group of 8, and 4 of them are doing really well, and the other 4 are not! Whatever I try!! So maybe it �s because of old age! The French school system should throw me out and have a nice young and pretty replacement teacher for me!LOL If you think of other ideas, please let me know!Hug

11 Feb 2010     

freddie
Canada

Hello everyone!

Haven �t been around much for a while but popped in for a quick look today and found an interesting discussion. Hope all my old friends are well.

I have to second (or third or whatever it is) the point that there is an overabundance of grammar fill in the blank style material here. Of course grammar is necessary and vocabulary more so. But activities where that knowledge is used in communication is most important of all for my students and I am always looking for fresh ideas to engage students in using the knowledge. If anyone has great communicative style activities upload them!! Whenever I see pairwork activities, I am the first to upload them!! Send me a PM and tell me about them so I can have a look to see if I can use them!!

And Mariethe young and pretty cannot replace experience!!

Freddie

11 Feb 2010     

1    2    Next >