Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > HELP!! Tenses analysis    

HELP!! Tenses analysis

refis24
United Kingdom

HELP!! Tenses analysis

Hi All,

I have 2 parts to a transcipt below that I have to analyse. This is for my assignment. I get confused Confusedwith the tenses. I believe it is past tense and present continuous tense that the student gets confused with, but my teacher thinks otherwise.
I have to identify strengths and weaknesses. At a glance, could you give me your opinions please?

I get up in the morning about half eight or nine o�clock. I do it

shower, I brush the my teeth, I wash my face and I get up

dressed and I going in my work in the car about 40/45 minute.

I can�t waiting half 10 come and i can�t wait to go see my wife, my

childrens. When i�m close half 10, but i checking everything my staff clean nicely clean, everything when be done, so i been about in e out for my shops 11 o�clock, so when i drive my car, come back in e home about half an hour depends how traffics. 

Your help would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Refis24Thumbs Up

12 Feb 2010      

Zora
Canada

The text is of a daily routine... Your student confuses the two present tenses. The Present Simple and the Continuous. Although, he/she seems to have a fairly good grasp of the present tense, she/he just confuses it a bit with the other one at times.

I�d even venture to say that might even be because of the "like/love/can �t stand... + ing" tense used ...

12 Feb 2010     

refis24
United Kingdom

Thank you for your help. How long have you been a teacher for?Clap I am a CELTA student and am finding it rather difficult at times!!

12 Feb 2010     

lshorton99
China

For strengths you could consider some nice vocabulary - can �t waiting may be grammatically incorrect but the language is good, as are the atempts to use depends and the nice about half an hour. I �m assuming it �s an elementary learner.

Also they make some attempts at when clauses which is nice. While their work is not accurate - there are errors in tenses, word form (gerund instead of infinitive, for example, traffics which is uncountable) their actual lexis is quite good. They use linkers - when, and, so.

Doing the CELTA? Good luck! It �s a good course if you want to teach English although it is quite intense!

Hope this helps!

12 Feb 2010