Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Containers + uncountable nouns - QUANTIFIERS - please help    

Containers + uncountable nouns - QUANTIFIERS - please help

SueThom
United States

Have you considered using a corpus?  It might help you.  You can come up with collocations and see their frequency.

There are some online that are easy to use, like http://www.americancorpus.org/

Sue

13 Feb 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Package might be used in US or UK, but not downunder.  You may just want to double-check with someone from there.

KFC does actually sell (cardboard) buckets of chicken but no-one else.  I think KFC probably have the intellectual copyright on it - lol.  I can �t say that I have heard of a bucket of fried onions (I mean, that�s  a lot of fried onions) and yes indeed many lollies and biscuits are sold in fancy buckets, but they are small buckets and I think when we use the term bucket we generally mean a big bucket that holds about 15 litres.  Bucket of water is the most common example.

Now that I think of it, in the old days milk was sold in pails (metal buckets), so it was a pail of milk.  We don �t really use that word now here, but they might in UK because it�s a typically British word.  There�s also a bucket of slops which is what the pigs on farms are given (according to the the British TV shows that I watch).

13 Feb 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

Thanks a bunch!
The website is really good! Thanks for the tip!

Hih, I like this one: "Yes. I lost count. Like tossin� a bucket of chili into a fan."

13 Feb 2010     

< Previous   1    2