Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A Question about Possessive Apostrophes    

A Question about Possessive Apostrophes

Amna 107
United Arab Emirates

A Question about Possessive Apostrophes

Hi friends

I need your help please.

I want to know if possessive apostrophes can be applied to anything (persons, places, and things), OR only for persons.

For example, can I say: the table�s legs, the library�s books, the book�s cover OR the table leg, the book cover ..and so on??

Thanks in advance Big smile

Amna

16 Nov 2008      

Tere-arg
Argentina

You can use the possessive case/genitive case only in relation to  animated beings: persons or animals.

Tom�s cat.

The cat�s food.

BUT

The leg of the table

Of when talking about two things.

Smile

16 Nov 2008     

Amna 107
United Arab Emirates

Thank you Tere-arg for your response

Actually, I have a grammar book that says that we can use possessive apostrophes in some situations even if they are not animals or persons. For example, last Sunday�s paper, this year�s profits, two week�s holiday and so forth.

This is why I am still confused!

16 Nov 2008     

faccom
France

But you can also use it with words related to "time".

Yesterday�s football match was great!! 
Tomorrow�s concert has been cancelled.

I don�t remember but I think there is also something related to distances.Wink.

16 Nov 2008     

Amna 107
United Arab Emirates

Thanks for your explanation faccon

Would you suggest that I teach the "time" possessive apostrophes for children who are just learning the use of possessive apostrophes?

I think teaching them that we use possessive apostrophes for persons and animals is enough!

What do you think guys?

16 Nov 2008     

Tere-arg
Argentina

From "A Practical English Grammar"

Thomson and Martinet

Oxford English

15    Use of the possessive/genitive case and of + noun

A     The possessive case is chiefly used of people, countries or animals as shown above. It can also be used:

1      Of ships and boats: the ship�s bell, the yacht�s mast

2     Of planes, trains, cars and other vehicles, though here the of construction is safer:

a glider�s wings or the wings of a glider

the tram�s heating system or the heating system of the train

3     In time expressions�

a week�s holiday          today�s paper                 tomorrow�s weather

in two years� time        ten minutes� break         two hours� delay a ten-minute break, a two-hour delay are also possible: We have ten minutes� break/a ten-minute break

4     In expressions of money + worth:

�l�s worth of stamps      ten dollars� worth of ice-cream

5     With for + noun + sake: for heaven�s sake, for goodness� sake

6     In a few expressions such as�

a stone�s throw      journey�s end      the water�s edge

7     We can say either a winter�s day or a winter day and a summer�s day or a summer day, but we cannot make spring or autumn possessive, except when they are personified: Autumn�s return.

8     Sometimes certain nouns can be used m the possessive case without the second noun, a/the baker�s/butcher�s/chemist�s/flonst�s etc  can mean �a/the baker�s/butcher�s etc. shop�.

Similarly, a/the house agent�s/travel agent�s etc. (office) and the dentist �s/doctor �s/vet �s (surgery):

You can buy it at the chemist�s        He�s going to the dentist�s Names of the owners of some businesses can be used similarly:

Sotheby�s, Clandge�s

Some very well-known shops etc call themselves by the possessive form and some drop the apostrophe: Foyles, Harrods

Names of people can sometimes be used similarly to mean �      .�s house�:

We had lunch at Bill�s.       We met at Ann�s.

B     of + noun is used for possession.

1     When the possessor noun is followed by a phrase or clause.

The boys ran about, obeying the directions of a man with a whistle. I took the advice of a couple I met on the train and hired a car

2     With inanimate �possessors�, except those listed in A above:

the walls of the town      the roof of the church      the keys of the car However, it is often possible to replace noun X + of + noun Y by noun Y + noun X in that order:

the town walls      the church roof      the car keys The first noun becomes a sort of adjective and is not made plural:

the roofs of the churches = the church roofs (see 16) Unfortunately noun + of + noun combinations cannot always be replaced in this way and the student is advised to use of when in doubt.

16 Nov 2008     

faccom
France

Tere-Arg�s answer is the best as it is precise and complete but as you suggested it, Amna, if you teach young beginners, only focus on the animated beings - persons and animals. Take care.

16 Nov 2008     

Amna 107
United Arab Emirates

Thank you very much Tere-arg and faccom Thumbs Up

Very helpful explanation from both of you Sleepy 

16 Nov 2008