Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What are "Word Partnerships"?    

What are "Word Partnerships"?

Mietz
Germany

What are "Word Partnerships"?

I�ve been given a worksheet with a text (about Intercultural Meetings) and there are exercises in that text where I even don�t get the task.

Example:
The following business verbs appeared in the article in the order in which they are listed.  How many of their word partners can you find in just five minutes. Choose the eight most useful word partnerships and find an equivalent for them in your own language.
(Below the task there�s a table with two columns - column 1 heading is business verbs (in this column you can find the verbs from the text); column two is empty and has the heading "Word Partners".)

The text, but not those tasks, can be found under: http://www.uniurb.it/lingue/corsi/CL4/TestDiLinguaInglese1-2-3/PRIMO%20ANNO/B1%20Reading%20Comprehension%20+%20Compositon/B1%20reading%20comprehension%20test%202.doc.

Can somebody explain to me what is meant by "Word partners", please?
Thanks in advance from windy Germany!

16 Nov 2008      

mena22
Portugal

Hi Mietz! I think that teacher is talking about Collocations. For example, with the word business, you can use the verbs be in, carry on,  do, drum up, look for................. with the word cash you can use be out of, be short of, send, raise.....  It also works with adverbs and adjectives. I hope I could help. Have a wonderful Sunday!

16 Nov 2008     

Mietz
Germany

Thank you mena22. So e.g. if I have the verb "hold" the word partners would be hold a meeting, hold a presentation..., if the verb is "disagree on" the word partners could be disagree on prices, ...???
Does that make sense?

16 Nov 2008     

mena22
Portugal

Hi again! Yes, absolutely! I have a dictionary of collocations which is a precious help to me. By collocations they mean word combinations. In the example you gave - meeting- you can use the verb hold, that�s it - hold a meeting; it could also be the verbs arrange, attend, call off............... These are pairs of words that occur frequently, so much so that when you hear the word you expect the other word (the partner!!) to be there too.

16 Nov 2008     

Mietz
Germany

Hello again! You are such a fantastic help! I�ve just looked through the text and found the following:

hold - a meeting
disagree on - a point
build - a (business) relationship
report back to - management
strike - a deal
come to - a decision / (an agreement)
reinforce - team spirit
withdraw - business
question - arguments
offer - an opinion
diffuse - tension
get - results
generate - new ideas
transmit - information
pool - information

Do you think that makes sense?

Thank you sooooo much so far! You�ve been a great help! :-)

16 Nov 2008     

spring
Turkey

Hi Mena..
I just wonder your dictionary of collacations.
Is it something you prepared or is it a published material???
If it is the latter would you please give me the name of the Publisher??
Having a dictionary like that must be a great helpWink

16 Nov 2008     

Mietz
Germany

I agree with spring. I had the same thought earlier, but I�m soo confused at the moment, I forgot to put that in the message.

16 Nov 2008