Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help with collocations    

Help with collocations

newuser07
Argentina

Help with collocations

Hi Dear Friends,

Is there any website where I can get collocations for a word.
For example. I would like to know the most common verbs for meeting and objectives (eg. set).
I�ve been googling for over an hour but I haven�t been able to find anything similar to this. Sometime ago somebody mentioned a sort of corpus I think...
It would help me a lot!

Thanks in advance.
Have a great week :)

15 Feb 2010      

volga
United States

I checked the on-line Corpus of Contemporary American English and the most frequent verbs that go with meeting are hold, arrange, attend, and cancel; and with objectives - accomplish, achieve, fulfill.

The link to this corpus: http://www.americancorpus.org/

Cheers!

15 Feb 2010     

newuser07
Argentina

Thanks a lot for your help!!!! :)

15 Feb 2010     

lshorton99
China

There �s a website, but I can �t for the life of me remember it �s name, where you type a word in and it creates a word cloud of collocations - you can then click on another word in that clud and it will show you more. Anyone know the site?

16 Feb 2010     

colibrita
United Kingdom

I got these from my Collocations book (Oxford).

lshorton99 - would love to know what that site �s called. Hope the name comes back to you!

..... a meeting

Have, hold, / arrange, call, convene, organize, schedule, summon

Attend / Open, close, / adjourn, break up / call off, cancel / postpone / host, chair, conduct, preside over

an objective

accomplish, achieve, attain, fulfil, meet, reach, satisfy, succeed in /
fail in / agree, define, establish, formulate, identify, set, specify /declare, state / promote, pursue

16 Feb 2010     

Jayho
Australia

It �s here Lindsey: http://www.visuwords.com/?word=learn

28 May 2011