Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help for a speaking course    

help for a speaking course

samsunmustafa
Turkey

help for a speaking course

Hello  dear helpful teachers. Next month I �ll start to give speaking courses at a private institution and I need some idea.Our students will be at beginner level and at the age of 13 or 14.We want to make them practice and learn how to speak daily and practical language.At the end of the course I want them at least to express their ideas and learn small talks and daily practical language such as how to talk on the phone or at a restaurant,hospital and so on.

But, I don �t know how to start and what to use.What do you suggest? Do I have to clarify grammar points ? Or how can I make them speak? The students learn English at school but they can �t speak because in Turkey unfortunately they learn not to speak but to solve some multiple choice questions.So they have to speak.
Please help me about materials, any books or any different ideas.Thanks in advance.

17 Feb 2010      

moravc
Czech Republic

GAAAMES!!! Pair work! Role plays! Boardgames! Dear Sam, you can find everything here at eslprintables!
Short readings + audio - available on the internet for free.

IF you need to save ink and paper, make a list of verbs and vocab and number it...
One student throws a dice (+asks a question), second reads the verb / sentence.
EG: practice will for future + jobs - Fortune Teller + student roles
q: S1: Where will my little sister work?   -- Number 13=nurse  --- S2: She will work as a nurse in hospital.
S1: Oh, really? What will she do every day? ----- She will get up early and help sick people every day. She will give them pills and injections. She will speak with doctors....

Do not let the students to sit with their friends only. Change the pairs 3-4 times per lesson.
Competitions work fine too... Divide the class into 2 teams and play games.
Change the topics frequently and REPEAT. Use simple short sentences rather than long structures.
Songs, videos are great for teens too! Role plays, drama...
Teach 10 new words per lesson and ask ss to MAKE SENTENCES with the new words + 1 grammar topic...
eg: past simple + illnesses - My mother had a sore throat last year. She drank a lot of hot tea and slept for many hours. She also had a temperature and headaches. She took some pills and she was fine after 5 days.

18 Feb 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

http://www.dmoz.org/Kids_and_Teens/School_Time/English/English_as_a_Second_Language/

links to many webpages with tons of info... hope it helps...
let your students speak as much as possible. Leave the writing as a homework...

18 Feb 2010     

kprichorniana
Mexico

There are two wonderful sites

www.breakingnewsenglish.com and www.holidayenglish.com they have over 1000 speaking, listening writing lessons each.  A lot of the topics could be manipulated to fit your students interest.  and some of the activities in this site you could use to make board games and jeopardy cues... etc... I have used these sites for such purposes as yours and they have helped a lot.

18 Feb 2010     

samsunmustafa
Turkey

Thanks a lot for your great help.

18 Feb 2010