Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > do you know the answer?    

do you know the answer?

kentdil
Turkey

do you know the answer?

Hi everbody, ı got confused. is there a difference between by herself and on her own?
they both mean alone or ? What is the answer?

The manageress spoke to me ....................?

a- by hersef
b- oneself
c- on her own
d- herself

18 Feb 2010      

şekere
Turkey

merhaba, bence bunun cvbı a) kendi bizzat konustu anlamına gelio. ve on her own ise birşeyi tek basına yaptı kendi kendine anlemında.

18 Feb 2010     

lshorton99
China

I would say the answer is d - The manager spoke to me herself. This means she, personally, spoke to you as opposed to another person speaking to you in her place. a) and c) mean more or less the same and could be given as answers here but don �t sound very natural. They would be used if the manager was alone and had no one to help her speak to you.

18 Feb 2010     

magneto
Greece

I would have to agree with niacouto on d) herself: It means she spoke to me personally, not through her secretary or something.

18 Feb 2010     

niacouto
Portugal

niacouto deleted the post because she thought only English was allowed here. As there is a language that only a few members can understand I thought I was in the wrong place! :-(
(Still would answer d) herself)

18 Feb 2010     

SaraMariam
United States

Answer d :)

18 Feb 2010     

eng789
Israel

şekere - It �s nice of you to help a friend but we would all like to be able to read your answer.

I think that - on her own - might also be a possibility.  - meaning just her. 

18 Feb 2010     

guizmow
France

answer d as well. ;)

18 Feb 2010     

yanogator
United States

In the US, "on her own" in this context would mean that the manager wasn �t representing someone else, but speaking to her on her own initiative. I think that British English sees it differently.

Bruce

18 Feb 2010