Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Advice about fancy fonts, please    

Advice about fancy fonts, please

juliag
Japan

Advice about fancy fonts, please

Hi all, hope you had a good weekend.

Could someone please help me out...

A few weeks ago I downloaded some fancy fonts for the first time and used them in my worksheet.

The first time I cut and pasted them as a Microsoft word document object, thinking that then even people without the fonts on the computer would be able to see and print them okay, but they didn �t show in the preview.

Although when I downloaded to my computer, they were okay, when I asked another user she said they reverted to a standard font on her computer.

This time I tried cut and paste as a picture, but again they don �t show up on the preview, even though they are saved in the document as a picture not as text. So I think the same thing will happen and other users will not be able to receive the printable as it is.

I just did a forum search and saw some advice to embed the fonts when saving, but when I did that it adds nearly 200KB to my file and now it is way over the limit.

Can anyone tell me how I can get those fonts to show up for everyone, without having to embed them?

Thanks in advance for your time and advice.
Have a great week everyone.
Big hugs
Julia

21 Feb 2010      

Zora
Canada

Hey there Julia,

I had the same problem with a glyph I was making. In the end, I just put the link to the page with the font in the description, that way anybody could download it if they wanted to use that particular style.

I know it �s not a real solution to your question, but it was a quick fix for me since I couldn �t embed or turn the exercise into a "picture" without adding extra "weight" to the worksheet.

21 Feb 2010     

baiba
Latvia

That �s strange, Julia.
I have made most of my worksheet titles with unpopular fonts. I cut the piece (I used Irfan View) and saved it as a picture and put it back on my worksheet. And the fonts were ok! They were seen in preview and it made me think that the downloaders can see them too.

Theoretically, if you make a picture of something, it should "freeze" and not change any more.
If you need some help, send me a PM.

21 Feb 2010