Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > The use of pics from magazines    

The use of pics from magazines

Ide_Bere
Mexico

The use of pics from magazines

Hello to everyone, I �ve got a question about the title of my thread. I mean I just discovered that my students work better when I put some pics taken from magazines on the board and they make out their own sentences. I used them to explain the use of pronouns (subject, object, possessive and possessive adj) and I was surprised noticing that they understood the concept better. What do you think about it? I �m planning to work on their writing skills, which aren �t good by the way, and I need and idea which involves the pics, but so far I haven �t been lucky. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you so much.

Bere

22 Feb 2010      

liny07
Panama

hi, Ide, I have bee woked with pictures taken from magazines, and it is a wonderful experiences because remember they are EFL/ESL students, and trough this activites or techniques that is called realia you can teach grammar but must be at the end of your explanation, the use of realia is useful to teach English as a Second Language.

22 Feb 2010     

magdita
Argentina

I love working with pictures. What you can do is select a wide variety of pictures(they should be big so everybody is able to see them) as for example a hat, a man, acar, an apple, etc. Then, ask them to describe the pictures orally and make a sentence with each of the pictures. Finally ask students to make up a story using those pictures. It really worked with my sts. Goood luck!

22 Feb 2010     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Some options:

- comic strips. You may use them as they appear, just deleting the dialogue in  or even cutting them out so they can order the sequence as they want and tell the story.

- scenes of different situations. They should tell what happened before, during and after the pic.

For more advanced students, I love to use pictures of objects, odd ones, to challenge their imagination and have obtained amazing results.

22 Feb 2010