Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Request: collecting typical schedules from all over the world    

Request: collecting typical schedules from all over the world

SaraMariam
United States

Request: collecting typical schedules from all over the world

I �m planning to make a project with my kids about different coutries and nations. So I had the idea to exchange typical schedules of the diferent countries of the world (primary school age). It would be great if you could help me out with this poject and let me know about the schedule in your country. If many people are interested in this project, I would make a blog with the results, so it would be useful for the entire community :) Please send me a PM if you are interested. Thanks a lot in advance.

Hugs 

Sara

23 Feb 2010      

lamssalla
Morocco

hi;
how do you do? i hope fine
as far as your project is concerned ; i am really interested and i wish i could do something.
i just i wish you could explain more how can we help you

Mohammed

23 Feb 2010     

SaraMariam
United States

Sorry, I wasn �t all that specific about my project :) Not a good thing to do for a teacher (lol). My idea was to collect typical schedules from people from all over the world (they can be emailed for example) - a typical week at school for a child in your country so to speak. Meaning the subjects, when does the school start / end and when / how long they have breaks. 
Example: Monday, start 8h, first lesson English till 8.45h, second lesson Maths till 9.30h, then 5minutes break ... etc... lunch time 12h-13h ... etc.... end of school 15.30h.
I can send a sample schedule for all the interested teachers if my explanation isn �t clear enough :s. Since I �m teaching kids, it would be great to have the schedules of primary school children, it would be helpful if the age could be mentioned.
Like this the kids can see how a school day/week looks like for other children of other nations. If we get enough schedules together I could post the project in a blog and like we can share all the results with our classes.
What do you think?

Hugs
Sara

23 Feb 2010     

vardaki
Cyprus

Schedules? You mean the pupils program of the week?

23 Feb 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

This seems to be an interesting topic... But if I were you I would suggest to write not just the school subjects and tables+ times, but the daily routine, commuting - public transport/ car? - how long?? and the usual hobbies and clubs the kids attend + where?

For example here in the Czech republic we have so called Basic Art Schools. These schools are for kids 6-15 (18) years old and they provide a wide range of free-time activities, the price is reasonable, BUT the kid must sit exams every year to pass. I used to go to violin lessons for 4 years when I was a kid, but I gave up as I couldn �t meet the standards...
These schools have the very same standards and kids are given certificates at the end of the school-year. There are several such schools in all big cities...
Many famous artists, sculptors, musicians, dancers used to go to BAS schools...

Do you have such subsidised "cheap" free-time centres or schools??

Students go to basic (primary) school from the age of 6 to 15 (obligatory)
All lessons are 45 minutes, some can be for 1,5 hour (art, languages). Break is 5-10 minutes, the lunch break is 50 minutes.
First - fifth graders have one teacher only (a class teacher). English is taught by an extra teacher.
First and second graders start 7:45 or 8:00 and finish about midday. Subjects: Czech, Math, Art, Music, PE...
Third-fifth graders - 8:00 - 13:00. + Foreign Language - mainly English or German (or French), science, "workshops" - wood carving, sewing, cooking etc..., Geography
Sixth graders have different teachers for each subject. Science - biology, chemistry, Physics may be taught be the same teacher.
Sixth graders (11-12 yrs) -8:00-13-14:00) Czech, Foreign language, maths, Biology,  Geography, History, Cinizenship, music, art, PE, workshops.
Seventh - ninth graders (12-15 yrs) -twice a week till 15-16:00 - all previous subjects + Physics and Computers (ICT)
There is winter term September-January and summer term February-June. There aren�t any obligatory tests on the topics covered in the whole year, but some teachers give written term tests in Jan and June.)

There are no religious education at state basic schools...
No uniforms needed. Education is free in state schools, but parents must buy some exercise books and pay for the free-time activities - extra music lessons, art, sports....

Schools are usually up to 500 pupils, usually about 300 or less. Small local schools can have 80 students only. Te smallest schools consist of 2 classrooms. (for first-fifth graders only).

23 Feb 2010     

SaraMariam
United States

Wow morvac, that was a great answer :) I �ll try to reply to it later as now I have to run. I just wanted to leave a message to say that I didn �t forget you :).
Vardaki, yes this is exactly what I meant :)
Sorry to cut it so short, but I really have to run 

Big hugs
Sara

24 Feb 2010